This Disappears When Logged In

Cheap and Easy DIY Hides

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Knox, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Cheap and Easy DIY Hides:
    For just a few dollars, I made some hides I am very pleased with. The tubs are Sterilite 6qt, but you can use whatever you want. The paint is Rustoleum for Plastic – Krylon Fusion is excellent as well. I wanted Eggshell or Flat, but all they had was gloss. The Soldering Iron makes cutting the plastic much easier and nearly eliminates cracking.
    Paint was around $5, tubs were 95 cents each at Big Lots – probably the same at WalMart. A Soldering Iron can be bought for around $15 and is a great tool to have for melting holes in tubs.
    HidesandRack002.jpg
    Melt the outline of your cut both inside and outside. Once the iron is hot, this is a quick process and truly makes cutting with a blade a breeze:
    HidesandRack003-1.jpg
    Cut the holes with Utility Knife:
    HidesandRack004.jpg
    Paint:
    HidesandRack005.jpg
    Done!
    HidesandRack007.jpg

If there is concern that the tubs are too tall, crumpled Newspaper or the like easily makes the hides more cramped.

Attached Files:

2. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Very nice. I never thought of painting them. I did some out of some of those plastic sandwich containers. They work well and make excellent humid hides.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great post! I'm sure that it will help a lot of people who are looking for inexpensive hides!

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I actually ended up cutting these down around the ridge with heavy duty snips because i felt they were too tall for my colubrids. They would be perfect as is for Balls, thoughs.