This Disappears When Logged In

Changing Substrate and Need Some Input.

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by heyike, Sep 20, 2012.

1. heyike

heyike Member

When I first bought my lizard I was told to get a bag of calci-sand. Which I now know isn't the healthiest thing for my uro. I'm looking to change it out to a sand/ soil mix. My aquarium is split roughly 40% sand and 60% slate tile. I have bought 2 bags of Paverstone brand play sand so far, but I am clueless as to what type of soil to mix it with and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with Paverstone play sand.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Paverstone sand and play sand would be different, the sand used with paver can contain silica which is not good for reptile or even humans.

Hopefully one of our Uro owners will be by with their recommendations for substrate. Wish I could help you more
    UroWiki

3. heyike

heyike Member

Sorry, Paverstone is the brand name and I misspelled it it's actually Pavestone Natural Play Sand.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That should be fine then. You can just mix it with the cheapest top soil from the hardware store. Obviously nothing with pesticides or fertilizers. Or you could go out with a few 5 gallon buckets and digs some up from some where safe. Even land fill yards are an option, though I don't know how small of a quantity they would sell.. I'm sure they wouldn't miss a few buckets though.