This Disappears When Logged In

Changing Humidity

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by dom4419, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dom4419

dom4419 Member

Hi, i'm setting up an enclosure for v. doreanus but my humidity levels keep on changing, under my basking spot it's at 110F with 38% hum., on the cooler side it's 84F with 62% and at night it's at 70F with 90% hum. How can I keep it at 80-90% all the time?

2. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

What kind of enclosure do you have?

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

No, that's right. Its going to be dryer under the basking spot. Heat dries out water. You have a good gradient. If they want to escape the heat into cool moisture, they can.

If you want the daytime to be a little higher, add a humidifier on a timer. How big is the enclosure and what is it made of?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, First I need to say the basking spot (surface) temp is much too cool, you need between approx 50 to 60c (120 to 140f), what type of heat/light bulbs are you using?
    The humidity is bound to be lowest around the hottest part of the enclosure, that`s inevitable. Photo`s might help if you can put a few up, plus the other details...

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

You need to rethink your enclosure entirely for a blue tail. You will need a basking spot surface temperature of 130f. Your enclosure will need to be completely sealed. This means no escaping air through things such as open vents, screens, etc. You achieve this humidity with little maintenance through a properly set up enclosure.