This Disappears When Logged In

Cham Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Beninan, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Beninan

Beninan Active Member

First post on these forums and soon to be my first cham. ive been doing a lot of research and im in the process of building an enclosure and wanted to know what you guys think/suggest.

the enclosure is 2'x2'x6' total with 48" of living space. top foot of space is for lighting and bottom foot is for storage and whatever. there's no door on it yet. the door is going to be a full door on the front of it with a smaller access door built into the bottom of it to easily plop in crickets without opening the entire thing. the screening is kinda hard to see in the pictures but its actually a layer of window screen underneath a layer of hardware cloth for security. the screening on the top of it is actually opposite, where the hardware cloth is actually below the screening to allow the little buddy to grip to the top.

i have two lights on top but may be adding a third. there's a uva/basking light and a uvb tube light. in the pictures the tube light is on the very top of the enclosure but im planning on moving it down so its on top the screen and as close as possible to the basking spot.

like i said, ive been doing quite a bit of research because of the loss of my last attempt (iguana) due to ignorance. im trying to make things at perfect as possible before i purchase my cham. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Pretty cool man!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not too shabby, with one issue.
    You need to remove the fine mesh window screening from the area where the UVB tube is. The fine screen will shade out a lot of your UVB.

4. Beninan

Beninan Active Member

hmm the only way that i think i could do that would be to put the uvb tube inside the enclosure. would doing so be a potential issue?

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

The only thing I can think of is - being an arboreal species your Cham will be apt to try and climb on the light, which could be a potential hazard, think electrocution, burns etc. Also, with the same thought you would have to be extremely careful not to get water onto the lighting system being inside the enclosure.

What kind of Cham are you looking at getting?

I love the Cham design, fill it with lots of climbing branches and plants and you will have a happy Chameleon :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You could put the tube inside and simply cage it off with the 1/4 inch opening hardware cloth. Basically making a false ceiling. But make sure and set it up so that you can change the bulbs without tearing the entire thing apart.

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Looks great, I would just replace the top with 1/4" - 1/2" wire. It will let the UVB in and keep any cham over 5 months out. Also drill some holes in the bottom and throw a sump tank under their to collect the run-off (a few holes and a funnel glued to the bottom works great) and you'll be set. Some branches and a Ficus, and you have every chams dream right in your home.

8. Beninan

Beninan Active Member

update on my enclosure, still no chameleon yet. to missabrat: im getting a veiled. i believe the one im looking at is female and im planning on picking her up tomorrow.

ive put several sticks, a fake plant vine in the lower left, a pothos hanging from the top, and a hibiscus in the bottom right. im planning on putting more in there too, like maybe a bird ladder against the pot of the hibiscus plant.

ive been thinking of a way to place the uvb light inside the cage, but that would involve cutting holes in the screening, trying to figure out a way to hang the light, and trying to seal the screening back up. so instead i tried positioning it so its aiming directly at the basking spot. i may end up moving it inside though.

Attached Files: