This Disappears When Logged In

Chaco Golden Knee Died

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by wildheart, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

My Grammostola aureostriata tarantula - Chaco had a bad molt and died. I hate it every time that one of my T's start molting, you just dont know what is going to happen.:(

I try so hard to imitate their natural environments, keeping the perfect heat and the perfect humidity, but sometimes it is just not enough. I wish my T's could show me when they were feeling ill and even then, there is nothing that even a vet could have done.:(

My Panama, Usumbara and Greenbottle blue are also busy molting now. I hope they will be OK.:(

I am not going to replace Chaco.

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Please know that my sympathies go out to you in this difficult time. It is so hard to tell if anything is wrong with a tarantula and I certainly am not one to be able to discern problems with them. If you are like me, there is no replacing Chaco even if you wanted to. I am hoping that the others come out of their molts in good condition.

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Sorry for your loss and good luck with the others molting. So why does a T sometimes die during a molt? I really do not know much about them.

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I had the same problem with my pink toed tarantula it's hard to tell nearly impossible.......I am really sorry for your loss..

5. David McConley

As memory serves me(it has been years since my tarantula died), the molting process depletes the spiders energy level and in some cases they die of dehydration from not being able to get to a water source. Mine always drank water like a man fresh out of the desert after a molt. Sometimes they are just too weak to survive, especially if they are regenerating a new limb.

Wildheart- please correct me if I am wrong as I said it has been years since I had a tarantula.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Thanks for the reply. Why can't they get to a water source?

7. David McConley

As I recall, they have to crawl out of the old skin and it is a very time consuming process. They can't really get to the water source without having to pull the old attached exoskeleton along with them. The exoskeletons are not very mobile.

I hope my memory is correct as I don't want to give false information. I am sure if I am incorrect, some of the more seasoned spider keepers out there can explain it better.

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Sorry to hear that. :(

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I am sorry Linky. They are truly irreplaceable in our hearts.

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Sorry for your loss and best of wishes to the others.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I am sorry as well.

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thank you all, I know to some they are just a hairy spider but they are really close to my heart.

When Tarantulas molt they shed their exoskeleton that includes their book-lungs. On close inspection I think what happened with Chaco was that his intestines – book-lungs did not form properly.

Tarantulas are the only species of spiders that still have book-lungs and are therefore called old world spiders. The problem with book-lungs is that it makes the spider very vulnerable because it is actually located almost outside the body and they have to replace them every time that they molt.

Your question about water is a very interesting fact about tarantulas.

Tarantulas do not have any muscles, they use blood pressure to lift their legs. Due to the book-lungs being open they loose allot of moisture through them and when they become dehydrated their blood pressure drops. In return low blood pressure means that they can not walk to a source of water and that is why they die of dehydration.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

that is interesting and kind of sad.

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow I had no idea! Thanks for the replys. It is kinda sad. :(

15. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Sad to hear about the loss Linky. How long had 'Chaco' been a part of your 'family'?

When you notice the molt about to begin, can you place a water dish real close so they don't have to walk too far? Or is it the severe energy depletion that just exhausts them completely? The complications with the lungs doesn't help either.

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I only had Chaco for 6 months but he still made a deep mark in my heart.

You get lots of reasons for a bad molt, sometimes they just do not develop all their limbs. In such a case the next molt will just fix it but in Chaco's case it was a part that he could not live without.:(

Because of their dehydration problems it is a rule that the water dish must be right in front of their hide opening. I have seen them drink several times, very fascinating.

They are nocturnal so their molts usually happens when we are fast asleep. They make borrows, some make tunnels and others use logs as a hide. They molt inside their hides so it is not possible to place water closer than the opening to the hide.

17. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, Linky. It is always hard to lose a friend, and yes they tend to attach themselves to our hearts rather quickly.

Thank you for the information, it is quite fascinating. I'm just sorry I got the lesson because of your loss.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.