This Disappears When Logged In

Ceramic Heater.

Discussion in 'Heating' started by samiamnoeggs, Oct 5, 2011.

1. samiamnoeggs

samiamnoeggs Elite Member

Finally broke down and got Mufasa a ceramic heater. Winter struck Oregon pretty much overnight and her tank got incredibly cold last night. Any one had any problems with these heaters?

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

No except I have burned myself a couple of times because I forgot the bulb was on/hot.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

4. samiamnoeggs

I was planning to put it in a dome so that i can remove it in the mornings, since i have very limited space.

5. justor

justor Elite Member

Ceramics are great for bumping up the heat especially at night when you don't want any lights on. I have never had any problems with mine and they seem to last a very long time.

6. samiamnoeggs

Thats GREAT to know! Thanks.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just make sure the dome fixture is ok to use with Ceramic heat emitters, some say for incandescent bulbs only, make sure it say ok for CHE. Also you can buy screen covers for domes!

8. samiamnoeggs

I will check that! and when i ever get more money that doesnt go to school i'll get a cage too!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As long as you have a ceramic socket to put the bulb in. Other sockets will actually melt, or break from the heat of those things. As stated, be careful, they get HOT. I took a surface temp reading of one of mine the other day with my temp gun, it was over 500ºF. So NO direct contact. An inch or two is usually sufficient space to prevent burns. You can also put it on a timer, rather than move it around. I found that I had issues with moving mine (mostly because I can be forgetful) and seared some holes in carpets, and burned the top of one of my wood cages.

10. samiamnoeggs

I have a ceramic dome to use, but unfortunately my bulb was defective. So back to the store tomorrow i go.