This Disappears When Logged In

Ceramic heater socket help

Discussion in 'Heating' started by replover, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hi. I am getting ready to build a cage.
    I notice that people put their basking bulbs into dome sockets like these:
    [​IMG]

while they put their ceramic heaters in the wire cage sockets like these:
    [​IMG]

Is there a reason for this? Or is this common practice only? Can I put the ceramic heat emitters in the dome type sockets like the first picture above safely?

Also, I get my dome sockets here locally easily but I have to send off for the wire type fixtures. Can someone please tell me how tall the wire type fixtures are from bottom to top? I need to know the space I need to allot it.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I have my CHE in a dome fixture, but the socket is ceramic which is a must if you want the bulb to last and function properly! Also so your house dosnt catch on fire :D

3. replover

replover Elite Member

Well yes I do know the socket part must be ceramic just wondering if the cage protector instead of a dome is of any benefit, and also how tall they are usually. What wattage is your CHE and how big a place is it heating? For what species?

I heard some stuff about the cage preventing excessive heat buildup but IMO would it just let all the heat away instead of directing it down anyways?

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Well I have 2 CHEs, a 250w and a 150w. The 250 is helping keep my monitors cage heated...and it does an amazing job, it heats prolly about 1/2 the enclosure above 90 deg. usually and its a 315 gal. poorly sealed enclosure lol. The 150 heats my 55 gal byitself to about 90 deg. Ant the heat pretty much gets distrubeted evenly throughout the enclosure once its been on for a while.

5. replover

replover Elite Member

What are the sizes in inches of those tanks specifically and what are your ambient room temps over there?
    I know the gallon sizes you listed but it could be taller, shorter etc just wanted to know.

And do you use a thermostat or dimmer? are there more than 1 type of dimmer? I hooked my Exo terra heat pad to a dimmer from IKEA (they call it DIMMA) and the heat pad just doesn't run, even though the dimmer works for lights and stuff perfectly.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have 150 and 250 watt CHE's and they are in the dome type reflector.
    The 250 is in my large adult iguana cage 6 ft tall.
    The 150 is on my ball python tank which is a 55 gallon. 4ft x 12in x 21in
    I prefer to use a thermostat to a dimmer since the dimmer is basically high and low and the thermostat shuts the heaters off and on as needed. With the dimmer you have to fiddle with it every time the ambient temp in the room changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.