This Disappears When Logged In

Ceramic Heat Emitters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan01, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I have never used these before and have a question before I buy one:

Do they give off around as much heat as an incandescent bulb of the same wattage? I wouldn't want to buy one that fries my beardie.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I do believe they give off more heat.

Thermostat should solve that problem.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes definitely use it with a t-stat or at least a dimmer/rheostat as they give off a lot of heat and higher wattage ones can burn you as well as your dragon.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I use them, picked up some dirt cheap on e-bay, definitely put out much more heat than incadescent bulbs. I use 100 and 150w bulbs for my boas and python, had a 200w that I gave to a friend for his bearded dragon because it put out more heat than I could really use. Works great for him though, they're all set up right on top of screen tops. I made some fixtures to hold the bulbs, no domes or shades, just an aluminum frame to hold a ceramic socket and a cord. You can easily raise it a couple inches to reduce the surface temp directly under the bulb, they're similar to a spotlight as far as the heated area below. I have Helix t-stats on hand for when I get around to building larger, more permanent enclosures for my snakes, but since they're all young/small they're currently housed in aquariums. Thought about using t-stats for the bulbs, (just received them last week) but it simply isn't necessary with the current setups.

5. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

What are some good thermostats that come at a slightly cheaper price? Are there any decent ones for around 50 bucks anyone has had luck with?

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I use a Zilla temperature controller for my herps. They run around $35 on amazon.