This Disappears When Logged In

Ceramic Heat Emitters Vs. Halogens

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Johnny, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Hey everyone, I've got a question about how ceramic heat emitters compare with halogen lights in regards to efficiency in producing heat. I'm currently using a 90 watt halogen flood bulb in my ackie enclosure and lately it's been struggling to keep the "cold" side of my enclosure at optimum temps. The difference is only about 3-4 degrees duing the day and as much as 6-8 at night, on particularly cold days. (My basking temperatures are doing fine, right around 140 degrees right under the light.) I was wondering, if I switch to a ceramic bulb what sort of wattage would be sufficient to provide those last few degrees I need, without being overkill?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What type, and how large, of an enclosure are you talking about. And what is the usual ambient temperature in the room itself?

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

In addition to Merlin's questions:
    -Are you having trouble keeping temps up or down on the cool end?
    -What type of ventilation do you have in the enclosure?

4. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

The enclosure is made of melamine with a sliding glass front. It's 4'x2'x2'. The digital thermometer I have for measuring basking temps. also reads ambient temps and it usually reads high 60's to mid 70's. I leave it right on top of the enclosure itself. Oh, and I'm having trouble keeping the temps up high enough. The enclosure is ventliated by three circles cut about 4 inches in diameter into the back wall and covered with a plastic grating to prevent escapes.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Perhaps try closing off two of the three ventilation holes towards the cool end--just keep on eye on humidity and your hot end and basking temps. If that doesn't work would it be possible to instal a second light on the cool end?

6. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

That actually sounds like a good idea, I'll probably give it a try and see where I can go from there, especially since it's the cheapest option, haha. Thanks Vers.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Hey man, how did everything end up working out? Did closing the vents do the trick?

Matt

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would close all the vents. Easier to maintain temps and humidity.
    As well. If you have sliding glass doors completely across the 4ft width, you are losing a fair amount of heat through them.
    Especially if they are not 1/4" thick glass.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

If he does that he will definitely need to pickup a lower wattage bulb OR, if possible, move it further away from the basking site. And I agree about the glass (one of the reasons I use plexi instead).

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, glass is a poor insulator. Unfortunately plexiglass can become quite a mess with monitor claws going at it.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

True. Uros have been much more forgiving in that department...at least so far.