This Disappears When Logged In

Ceramic heat emitter

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by BrownFoundling, Jan 11, 2015.

1. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Would it be safe to hang a CHE inside my crestie's habitat? Will it realize that the surface is hot as it approaches? I need to bump the heat up a little as we are keeping the house at about 69 degrees this winter.

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Heat emitter is gonna put off a LOT of heat unless you get it on a thermostat or dimmer. And, probably not. You'll want to cage/screen it off some how so it can't be touched.

3. BrownFoundling

With a small crested gecko I don't think that there would be much in the way of caging that would work. Making a protective box out of window screen might be a possibility if I can think of a way to keep all of the raw edges pointing toward the inside.

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Make a frame out of some wood. Just make sure its not pine or cedar. Or seal it up first, which wouldn't be a bad idea anyways. Fold the screen over the box and staple it to the frame. Bam. Done.

5. BrownFoundling

That is much simpler than what I was thinking which was making the box out of just screen like folding a paper box out of one piece of paper. Then sewing up the edges with wire.

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Haha. I mean, you could do it that way, but then you'd really have to worry about those edges..

7. BrownFoundling

That is why I like your idea of stapling screen to a wooden frame much better.

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Yeah. Just use it temporarily for the winter or seal that wood nice first. Humidity eww.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You MUST cage that CHE! The surface gets extremely hot! This is what I do with them.
    th_IMG_0487.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    BrownFoundling likes this.
  10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

11. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

There is no need for that. It will do way more harm than good. They can live in room temperature. I use no heating with mine. Too much heat is way more dangerous than some chill.

BrownFoundling likes this.
  12. BrownFoundling

I've come to that conclusion too. He or she will manage through the winter at the low end of their comfort zone.

CrazySnakeLady likes this.