This Disappears When Logged In

Central American Boa Wont't Eat

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Dkluna6, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Dkluna6

Dkluna6 Member

So, on February 9th i got a male Central American boa, he seems healthy and is very active, but he has only eaten 4 times, the first three weeks i had him and then on march 16th. I am feeding him frozen thawed small rats and he is in a 4x2x2 cage and the snake is about 3 1/2-4 feet long. I have tried feeding in a different tub, and in the cage, and even leaving the rat over night but he still won't take it. If he doesn't eat next week then I think I might try feeding a live rat.

Once again he seems healthy but I am still worried about him. Does anybody have any ideas on why he is not eating??

2. justor

justor Elite Member

What are his temps and humidity, and how are you measuring them? What does he have in the enclosure in terms of hides and decorations?

3. Dkluna6

Dkluna6 Member

The humidity is at about 55% all the time and the temp is usually about 85 on the hotspot and at about 90 right under the bulb. The enclosure just has a hide and a water bowl with a little plant covering the opening for the hide just for a little more privacy.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My Central American Male was extremely finicky for his first few years. What seemed to help him the most was:

~cluttering the cage up pretty well. He has been seen hiding in at least 4 different spots on his 20gal tank.
    ~keeping him slightly warmer than the recommended temps for a normal boa (95-97ºF basking),
    ~and a bit more humid (70%+ with periodic drying to prevent mold.).
    ~He did much better in a small cage. I originally had him in a 40" custom, but he would hardly eat, so I moved him down to a 20gal. aquarium, and he started eating like a champ.
    ~substrate. If I gave him something he could burrow in, such as coco-fiber or aspen, he was happy. When he was on newspaper or carpet, he was trying forever to escape his cage, and injuring himself in the process (requiring veterinary attention.)

5. Dkluna6

Dkluna6 Member

I cant get a new tank now so i might just block off a portion of the cage and spray the enclosure more. Thank you very much!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

what size cage is your boa in right now?

You can also help the cage maintain humidity by limiting ventilation. Cover excessive vented areas (such as screen lids) with foil, plastic wrap, or wood to keep that humidity in! my 20 gallong tanks has a 12x24 screen lid on top. Of that lid, the entire thing is covered with aluminum foil, taped on, except for a 4" circle where his lamp sits. I helps keep him humid so I don't have to spend all day spraying.

7. Dkluna6

Dkluna6 Member

Sorry for the late reply but the cage is 4x2x2 feet and has 2 vents in the back.