This Disappears When Logged In

Central American Boa Enclosure Dimensions

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by akbaby907, May 22, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'm starting to plan out a custom enclosure for my girl, one that I'm hoping will be suitable for her whole life. As she's still small now, it's not something that I'm in a rush to build. My main focus is it has to be able to accomodate her future size as well as economize the space it will take up. By my estimates, she should be pretty close to full grown by the time I'll be able to move out, thus I need something that will be able to move somewhat easily and not take up a huge amount of space (hooray for apartment living).
    For now, I'd like input/opinions on the dimensions. I know she'll need about 6 feet of space, but does that need to be six feet wide or can it be six feet tall? That measurement is the one that is most important to me so I can figure out the rest accordingly. Any opinions, advice, similar designs, anything is welcome. :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My adult common boa is housed in a 4ftx2ftx18inches high enclosure. th_IMG_0484.jpg

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

4x2 feet of floor space is pretty standard for boas. You can go with just about as much or as little height as you like. Most boas will climb if you give them space to do so, but its not mandatory. You can certainly go bigger then 4x2 if you want to, a 6x2 is an awesome space for a boa. A boa will use as much space as you offer it. Ive also seen some pretty cool looking boa cages that were done going for more arboreal style, with a smaller horizontal footprint but 4-6 feet of height.

Basically, 4x2x1 is as small as you will want to go, but you can take it really any direction you want from there

4. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Thanks guys, those really help with what I was looking for. I've been really intrigued by upcycled furniture into an enclosure, like an entertainment center, bookshelf, cabinets, some desks. Also the idea of a slide-out tub or something for under my bed, I'm just concerned about the electrical components for that project. Has anybody seen any successful enclosures like that for boas?

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If your close to Ft Richardson or a campus you will be able to find many people moving and leaving large pieces of furniture behind. I used to make enclosures out of the old TV cabinets in the 70's and 80's. Not many around now but they still show up in thrift stores and flea markets.

Good sturdy branches for climbing have always been a favorite for me as they can exercise a bit.

6. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

That's exactly what I've been doing! Lol I still haven't found any that have jumped out and caught my eye yet, and I'm still working on what products to use for water sealants.
    I actually have a homemade stand out of a lilac branch that she absolutely adores. She can't make up her mind if she wants to be in my hair or on her stand LOL. :)

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Hair to warm up and the stand for a stable perch :p

When looking for any sealant keep an eye out for "Food Safe" products. They will be the safest to use but are also tricky at times. Read the instructions very carefully and don't be in a hurry to rush the job.