This Disappears When Logged In

Cave / Climbing "rock"

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Knox, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I wanted something that my snakes could use for climbing and for sitting. Something that would work as a shelf, climbing branch, basking rock, and cave. You know, a do it all in one.

So, I bought 2 tubs of appropriate height and width. Cut a shaped hole out of all four sides. Sprayed first with some Krylon Fusion brown - consider it a primer of sorts. I then sprayed with a textured paint that looks like sandstone.

I am extremely happy with the result. I can still fit a hide inside the "cave". The snakes can climb it, rest on top, go in and out, and if I may say so, it looks pretty good:

photobucket-3440-1318627890503.jpg

photobucket-4063-1318703875398.jpg

You could also save some cutting by doing the same with a little plastic step stool. I thought of this afterward, but I think this gives a bit more security. The snakes can "hide" inside against the cave wall if they want.

Attached Files:

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

My King already has the hang of it:

photobucket-1559-1318707026267.jpg

photobucket-1780-1318706983179.jpg

Attached Files:

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

That's a neat idea for a basking spot. Your king is a beauty!

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thanks!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You always seem to come up with these great ideas! I love it, glad your King is enjoying it!

6. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thank you, Michele. I love these 40 Gallon Breeders. They offer so much room for decor. I still need to do a bit more, but I want it to be easy to clean, as well.

7. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

Love it! Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

8. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

Do you think the plastic will melt of go bad so close to the heat lamp?

9. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I wouldn't think so. The plastic on those tubs is pretty thick. If it got hot enough to melt that it would have already melted the snake.

10. Knox

Knox Elite Member

The surface of the plastic right under the heat lamp is 98.8 degrees. Perfect for the snake to get a quick warm up and move off when they feel like it. The substrate at the bottom, beside the cave, is 88. The cool side is 76.

Great question, though. You can never be too careful with temperatures.

Oh, and I am currently using 75 watt standard lamp bulbs. When it gets colder this winter, I may need to go up to 100 watt. But that's what I love about Dome Light Heating - just a change of a bulb and you have more or less heat as you need.

My Corn this morning out to greet the sunrise:

photobucket-2210-1318855862892.jpg

Attached Files:

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

great idea! they look like they are enjoying their new caves