This Disappears When Logged In

Caudel Luring and Feeding of Ronin

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by JoeyG, Apr 22, 2013.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi everyone, thought I'd try a few more videos. I have been asked a few times what caudel luring is and though I have explained it I thought showing it might be easier :) Also wanted to post his feeding response when he is in hunting mode. I've discovered that filming and feeding are a little tricky to do so bare with me. Thanks for watching! ;)

MVI_6032 - YouTube

MVI_6033 - YouTube

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Awesome videos Joey! It's really cool to see that caudal luring in action.

3. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Neat. clever snake. do they just do it now and again or do they do it in response to a trigger? or just when they are hungry?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Explain to this snake ignorant person...what is the purpose of the luring (which i assume is the tail movement of the snake)?

5. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

Probably the same reason the angler fish does it. To lure in prey and keep the preys attention away from the snakes teeth. I don't know for sure its just a guess

6. JoeyG

If you notice all neonates have a different color tail in comparison to their own color. They use it to mimic a worm or something along those line in order to lure potential prey to within striking range. They do this at night mostly when they move into their hunting positions and are actively looking for food. Ronin just seems to have an incredible feeding response and has been eating for me during the day. He will start luring when I open the enclosure and he can smell the mouse. Just another wonderful trait that I believe is solely possesed by chondros (as far as snakes go). ;)

7. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Thanks for sharing.:)

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Wow cool vids Joey. In their natural enviornments what does their prey (ideally) mostly consist of? That tail action is amazing.

9. JoeyG

My understanding is lizards, rodents, frogs, sometimes birds and even insects (for neonates). It's pretty cool to learn more and more about these guys. Even adults do the caudel luring. Tell you man you'll just have to break down and snatch one up ;)

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Nice video, that's pretty sweet :D

11. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

You have been wearing me down lol. I have to admit. We are moving in June, and I already scouted out a good spot...

12. JoeyG

Hey I know of a few good leads right now. Good prices from good people! ;) Currently working on another actually..... don't tell the wife, this will be hard to explain o:)

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yet another one? way to go!

14. JoeyG

Got big plans coming up so I may just end up in the dog house for a while :D

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Wanna share your plans? I promise not to tell!

16. JoeyG

17. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm right there with you, you're about to see why....