This Disappears When Logged In

Cat Wound

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by leslielenee, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

I left the tank open to Fisher's cage last night and found her missing this morning. There was blood on various things around the house.
    I found her in the closet with a gaping wound on her back.
    [​IMG]
    She has full mobility and still very strong and not too freaked out, until I put her in the bath to wash the wound...
    There was a bubble coming from the wound that lead me to believe that there was a punctured lung and swelling further down her body that lead me to believe there is internal bleeding. I called the vet but they don't get in till 2:30 on Wednesdays.
    Judging from the pictures and what I've told you...What do you all think her chances are...

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I think the only one who can tell you what the prognosis is the vet! Hang in there. I would get her off the substrate for now and just have her on paper towels. Dab a little neosporin without pain killer on it until your appointment.

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am trully sorry that this happened! But the vet will have to deal with this one. Let us know what happens, and good luck. :)

4. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

I dabbed a lot of neo on it and wrapped it in a big square band-aid after I got all the cat hair out.
    She seems so much more upset about the band-aid than the wound itself. But she is wild caught and had a huge hole in her head that had healed when we found her, so I think she has what it takes (fingers crossed).
    I am definitely hanging in there, and Michael is rushing home now...
    She's our favorite...I just couldn't imagine life without her.

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

That doesn't look good. Awe I'm sorry to hear it. I wouldn't even know what to do. Is there another vet around you can try. like an animal hospital?

6. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

We usually use the hospital in Grand Island but the snow plows have not passed yet and it is a bit dangerous with the storm just... besides I'm not even sure that the EM clinic does snakes at all.
    And waiting for the vet for three hours seems like the better choice...She is awesome.
    There does seem to be a reduction in the swelling in her body, maybe it was just her trying to puff up because of the bath...
    Hind site...There was an overwhelming smell of fresh cut onions last night at 10:30/11:00. I never smelled it before having only been musked by kingsnakes before. But that puts the attack at 13 hours, I hope there is no infection!!!

7. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

UGH! I am so sorry for your stress and for Fisher. What a beauty! Good luck and please let us know the happy ending (my fingers and toes are crossed).

8. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Well for the low low price of 147.00, I was able to save my snake...She is sooo worth it though!!!

There are four sutures to close the wound and 8 days of baytril muscle shots.

She said that I should keep an eye on her breathing and any signs of RI to ensure that the presumed lung puncture has healed correctly.

9. schlegelbagel

Yikes! All worth it in the end! Glad you got her to the herp vet. :)

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I'm so so glad she is ok!!! YAY! make sure you keep the heat up in her/his tank.....that helps with the RI situation.

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Way to go taking it to the vet and all!! :)
    A punctured lung, who'd of thunk it.
    Good luck.

12. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Yea, they called me back before they even unlocked the doors...
    I only get that kind of star treatment because my crew and I practically pay the electricity bill there every month!!!

The bad part is, though, she's closed on Sundays and Wednesday mornings...So guess when all the bad stuff happens?!? lol.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

yay! glad she should be ok!

14. schlegelbagel

Oh, you thought wounds would happen in a timely manner? That's funny. ;)

15. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so glad she is going to be okay! Kudos to you for taking her to the vet. Most people wouldn't do so much for a 'free' snake.

Let us know how she progresses!

16. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Yea, I guess that's right. It is definitely consistent to any findings thus far. Accidents ONLY happen on Tuesday nights and Saturday nights.

Oh and Lacey,
    Sad to say, That I don't think Fisher falls under the 'Free' category any longer. lol.

And thank you all for your support!!! You guys helped me make those three hours bearable!!!

17. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Thank you for the happy ending; we needed that!! Its been a rough week for the herp forum. I sure appreciate the quick update, you didn't leave us hanging!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.