This Disappears When Logged In

Carpet Python Personality (and Care)?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by TitoAndKatt, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have been looking at pictures of these guys and they are very striking! One day I would like to have more snakes, but for now I have to just look but not touch! ;) lol Anyways, what is the general temperament of these guys? Are they pretty mellow, more active, aggressive, flighty...? Also, how big (long and thick) do they usually get/what size enclosure do they need (as adults)? I didn't see a care sheet, but I am curious about these guys. I like learning about new herps. :) Esp snakes I have discovered.

2. tsuch21

tsuch21 Elite Member

Hi,
    Well as babies they are usually very flighty and nippy. Mine was extremely agressive but they are said to mellow down as adults. A lot of work gaining there trust. An adult can range anywhere from about 8-12 as some of the coastal carpets get pretty big. Cant remember the deminsions of an adults cage but as for all snakes they will need some room to roam and stretch out. I would kind of compare they to a baby GTP but In my opinion they are more agressive/nippy as a baby.

This link has every bit of info you could want for all types of carpet pythons. Cage size, snake size, temperment, etc.... Everything :) http://www.acreptiles.com/carpet_python_care.htm

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I used to keep carpet snakes, I wouldn`t call them the most tractable animals, although some do calm down after a time, but I still think they`re great snakes, the common Carpet`s can get to around 7 or 8ft.

4. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

4x2x2ft is the recomended size for an adult irian jaya or jungle carpet. I have found that their temperment varys depending on the time of day. maji is most calm and very handle-able during late afternoon. any earlier than 5pm and she tends to be more skittish and jumpy. maji's breeder told me she wouldnt get much bigger than 6 ft and all the subspecies stay fairly narrow bodied.

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Is there a particular subspecies that tends to be more docile as adults than others?

6. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

My carpet always strikes at the first thing that comes into the tank. So I feed first and then do maintenance. They are much more docile if they are not hungry.

7. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

i have heard that the bredli/centrilian(sp?) are more docile but i have no experience with them.

8. Matilda

Matilda Member

I have a bredli, she is only 10mnths old, & still can be a little 'flighty' although isnt agressive in any way. She is a gentle eater, just slowly opens & closes her mouth over her feed, doesnt strike & rarely constricts. She is handled often by my 6 & 9 yr olds, & has never bitten. In saying that though, i have a friend with an 8.5ft bredli girl who is extremely unpredictable, even after 4yrs with my friend, she still often bites her. So like as is with all breeds, some a more docile then others. They really are a beautiful snake though, & i recommend them to anyone who feels comfortable with something that can reach 8-9ft.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread was from a year and a half ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.