This Disappears When Logged In

Carpet Python - Has Not Eaten for 17 Months

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by herpetolectual, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I am currently having some issues with the python. I have a 13 Y/O jungle carpet that has not eaten for 17 months. for the past 4 or 5 years, since becoming mature, he has only been eating during the summer months. Last year he just skipped his eating phase. I'm worried. I have given him a temperature range of 68-90F, and a large shallow box for security. I recently left town for 4 months, came back and now he is unable to bend approx. 10 inches of his body starting 7 inches behind his head. on the ventral side of this segment he has formed lesions/bumps underneath his skin. Took him to the vet, Biopsy, inconclusive, been giving him broad spectrum antibiotics for the last month, NO CHANGE. Very concerned, maybe someone has some experience with similar maladies. Tired of being a rat owner...

Please Help!

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Whats his body condition like after that long without food? What is his behavior like (ie is he moving around, drinking, thermoregulating)?

I cant say ive ever experienced anything similar. I really hope you can get him to come around.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

68-90 degrees? That's a huge difference, why so cold? I would say keep the temps higher specially if it's sick. Don't let temps drop below 80 night or day and a hot spot. If you watch your husbandry the vet will be the only one to help you with any other issues... Also to be clear I meant 80 for the cool side, warmer if possible and stable temps

4. Thanks for the response. He is down to a third of his normal body weight. I have not seen him drinking, I have actually been using a syringe without a needle to give him a little water after every dose of antibiotics. He is very lethargic, but it seems he is still thermoregulating himself. As for the temperature in the cage, in the past I have been keeping a smaller cage around 80 degrees. But recently, because he stopped eating, I bought a more powerful ceramic bulb and moved him to a bigger enclosure. This way I could be absolutely sure he was getting enough heat while allowing him enough escape from it. But yeah, the vet doesn't know what the problem is

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I'm very sorry to hear about this. This doesn't sound very good at all. First off, how big is his cage? And have you considered assist feeding him? If he's really down to a third of his normal weight, I think assist feeding or force feeding is the next step until you can find the issue and fix it. Even just doing that could possibly get him back in the habit of eating. However, if it doesn't get him interested in food again, you should definitely get a few meals in him just so he's not starving.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures? How often do you handle him? Can you post a picture of the enclosure? How much privacy does he get? Do you have other animals, such as cats around that could be causing him stress?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Also if you can post a picture of him (full body and one of the affected area) maybe someone will have an idea or two to help steer the vet in the right direction.