This Disappears When Logged In

Carpet Huffing Noises?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Katsura, May 30, 2013.

1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Sooo I'm sitting on my bed right now chatting with my friend, and my carpet is acting kinda weird.

We have her in a 55 gallon long and tall. I have this tree in her house that she uses a lot. Temp is at 83 degrees currently measured with a digital probe. We usually feed on Fridays so she's due to eat this week, didn't eat last week.

She's sitting on her tree, but she seems restless. She's poking around a bit, she yawned once, and she's rubbing her nose on her tree and her body a little bit. *edit; she's an older python, over a year old, and she shed recently so it couldn't be that.

But the worrysome part is that he's huffing/wheezing really hard. It's not like RI wheezing. I haven't noticed any symptoms anyway. It's kind of like a hiss. She's like taking huge breaths and then forcing them out really hard, like an upset huff. She did it once, then like 5 minutes later let out 4 in a row back to back, and then one a it after that. It's not a sneeze either.

Is something wrong? It's concerning me a bit.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Well she ate just fine today, no hesitation at all, but when we went into the room to feed her she was trying to escape.

And now, after she's done eating she keeps yawning amd rubbing her mouth on her tree. It's like she's having a hard time adjusting her mouth properly.

Do I just need to take her to a vet or am I being overly concerned about nothing?... temp in cage is at 80 currently this morning.

3. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Take her to a vet immediately. I read awhile ago that someone's snake was doing the same thing. I forget what they found out about and no need to get worried but just bring the snake to the vet ASAP.

4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

<:U

Okay, I will set one up as soon as I can <:c

5. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Best of luck! =D

6. justor

justor Elite Member

What you're describing sounds exactly like what I watched my carpet do last night right before she shed... The hissing, the yawning, the nose rubbing. All of it.

At a year old she is not "older", she is still very young and probably growing rapidly. What size prey are you feeding her? How long ago did she shed?

7. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

o_O

All I meant by "older" is that she doesn't shed like a baby snake, it's more spread apart.

Today she very enthusiastically ate a medium rat. She actually shed about a month ago. Longer than I thought, my sense of time is all out of whack.

8. justor

justor Elite Member

Is she still behaving the same now that she is done eating? It's probably nothing, but keep an eye on her. How's your humidity?

9. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

She seems calm right now. After about 10 minutes of poking around, rubbing, and yawning she has settled down and is resting now.

I can't get a humidity reading right now because she's blocking the humidity gauge, but I'll let you know as soon as I can.