This Disappears When Logged In

Care Sheet???

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Devilwmn, Jul 4, 2011.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I think it would be cheaper just to get a MVB that two bulbs or tubes, a Exoterra UVB is only around $40 at Petsmart

2. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Well looking on petco's website it would cost twice as much as getting a mega-ray. Do you put the mega-ray in a dome? or just a normal light? the ones i saw look like flood lights

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

4. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

what is the difference in domes? and that one is $65. The ones on the other site are $45-50. I think i may need to just go into the store and see what i can find there and come back and report to you lol

5. schlegelbagel

Domes, a ceramic dome is meant to hold something that produces heat, a regular domed socket (like the silver ones at home depot) are only for light. If you look at the domes at the pet store, the ones in the boxes, the fixture the light screws into is ceramic. The Home Depot ones are metal and plastic. Ceramic will run you $10 to $10, where the metal ones are about $5.

The reptile UV bulbs vary in price, depending if you get self ballasted or not. Self ballasted screw into your ceramic domes.

6. mshill90

mshill90 Member

Get a mercury Vapor light. It will supply both forms of lighting you need.

They are about $45, but they worth it in the long run.

I recommend PowerSun, or MegaRay.

7. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

ok then i have the right ones. I currently own 5 of them, I use 2 for the geckos and have 3 spare. All the ends are ceramic but i thought you meant that the dome itself was actually ceramic and i had never seen those lol

If i can just get a bulb that will fit in one of those until i can afford the 40-60 bucks for a mega-ray i may have to do that. Everyone i know here has never used a UVB for their turtle so i want to make sure i get it right

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That doesn't mean that they are doing it right! Unless they are keeping them outside esposing them to sunshine, their turtles are doomed!
    Without the presence of UVB light, the turtles cannot process the calcium in thier diet so they start pulling what they need to survive from their own bones! This will eventually kill them.

9. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Yes this much i do know. I have learned a lot more about herps since i have joined this group so before i even consider getting him i want to have to PROPER set up ready to go. Due to work i have not bee able to petco and see what they have for UVB or MVB bulbs but am hoping to after work when i go get food for the babies.

What works best for hides? or will a few fake plants work?

10. schlegelbagel

I would avoid fake plants, they will try to eat them.

Are you going to have a solid land? I don't think they really need hides. They go underwater when they need to feel safe.

11. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

I think i am gonna use bricks. My friend has a suction cup dock type thing but i don't know how big it is so figured i was probably safe with just using bricks

12. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

ok so last night i got the 55 gallon tall tank, 2 differnt water filters, a water heater, a thermometer and some bricks for making the basking area. The tank has a bunch of calcium build up. is there anything that i can use that is safe to get it off? the bricks i paln on soaking in 1 to 10 bleach. also the water filter i was given has a short tube. is there any way i can fix it so it will reach the water without having to buy a new one? and with bricks will i need to make a ramp?

13. mshill90

mshill90 Member

Depending the what filter you have, you can buy extending attachments, but it my not be able to suck up the water from that low.

What I would do (and I have done this for my turtles) is buy yourself a floating turtle dock. They come in 2-3 different sizes. They sell them at petco, petsmart.. Use the bricks under it halfway as steps to get onto the dock.

This will allow you to raise your water level for the filter. Don't forget to prime your filter so it doesn't burn up the mag drive. Just keep pouring water in the back until it's running completely.

I raised the water in mine all the way to the top and a 4" wooden frame to sit ontop of the tank (with a cut out for filter) so the turtle couldn't climb out. Then I took eggcrate and made a piece to fit each side. I traced the lamps and cut each eggcrate so that the lights could sit directly ontop and not melt it.

My turtles have been moved. This tank was just temporary for them.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Alright here is what i have accumulated the last few days. Everything needs to be cleaned and the tanks are the worse. I have a 55 gallon, tall 29 gallon long, 2 different water heaters but know nothing about either, 2 water filters both have short drops to water (need to fix that) a rock waterfall that i can apparently put a filter in, a ceramic heat dome, a water thermometer and a floating dock. I still need to get the MVB and figure out how i can set this up so it works but what do you guys think so far?? Ideas or suggestions are appreciated

Attached Files:

15. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

The waterfall filter is probably useless because Turtles need deeper water than it can handle. here is a Pic opf my tank for suggestions;

[​IMG]

16. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

If i use the waterfall i would pull it up with bricks or a block so the water fills most of the tank but so the turtle can bask on it. I think i have the same filter as you :D and do you use fake plants or real? and is your turtle dock enough for basking?

17. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I use fake, my guys eat any real plants I use