This Disappears When Logged In

Care Sheet???

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Devilwmn, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Is there a care sheet on either Yellow belly sliders or Red ear sliders? I have a friend that got one from a friend that cant keep it so i may take it. I have alot of stuff but need to know temps and exact set up before i say yes

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Redearslider.com :: Basic Care Directory

The biggest thing people don't realize, is they need 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle. This is up to 100 gallons of water for some large males. I have a friend that did a 100 gallon stock tank and it worked out great.

3. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

it is still a baby but i dont know what kind it is exactly. If i take it it will be coming with a 55 gallon for starters

4. mshill90

mshill90 Member

When you say "baby" how big are we talking?

5. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

i am unsure of how big it is or what kind. The guy i am getting it from got it from someone who got it at either a reptile show or reptile adoption fair. He couldn't keep it so gave it to my friend who has it in a 10 gallon tank because he cant afford to set up the 55 gallon. I want to make sure i do my research so i can give it what it needs before i say yes

6. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

7. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Key Points.

They love to swim, so keep the water deep

They love to bask and need UVB and heat to thrive so get a good basking area and MVB light

Feed them daily but do not depend on Turtlefood alone, mix it up with dark greens and Veggies and other non protein sources to keep growth smooth and to avoid pyramiding and retained scutes

Filtration, filtration, filtration

For go substrates, I know it goes against most peoples thinking but it makes things easier to clean and keeps the water healthier

right now I am raising up 5 baby sliders, they are a handful

8. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Since my gecko's don't need UVB can i just get it in a bulb and put it in a normal dome heat lamp? and the care sheet calls for incandescent lighting. Do they need a normal light and a UVB? and will the UVB provide enough heat for a tank or do i need a water heater as well?

and every time i have seen RES in a pet store they have carrots and corn. The care sheet says they will pull all their food into the water so they can digest so should i stick to veggies like that or try greens or other veggies?

9. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

ok to make myself clear from my last post i don't listen to petco employees and don't believe most of what they tell me i have just seen this food in multiple cages so i'm asking

10. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Yes you need both forms of light, as to a heater it really depends on your room temps. Mine are kept in a room that is always around 80 degrees so I don't use a water heater. Carrots and corn is fine, any veggie will do. As to turtle food, I like the Zoomed stuff and Mazuri turtle Food, I feel Reptomin is too high in Protein and every Turtle I have used it with has had shell issues while I have had done with Mazuri and Zoomed food.

11. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

my house usually stays between 65 and 70* year round so i will check into a water heater as well. I'm gonna look up some member pictures on here and try and get some ideas for... umm... paludariums??? i think that's how you say it.

Methos do you feed from a bowl or drop in food at certain times?

12. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I drop it in the tank, They can only eat in the water so a bowl is pointless IMO

13. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

ive heard some will just grab it out of the bowl and take it to water so i was curious

14. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Mine aren't that smart LOL

15. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

LOL we will see how it goes down. still have a lot to do to be able to set up and i'm sure after reading more on the care sheet i will have a lot more questions lol.

I also want to say YAY THIS IS MY 100TH POST

16. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

For a basking platform should i buy one of those floating rock things or could i make one out of plexi glass and wood? and how can i make it so the turtle can get on the platform?

and should the platform be in the middle with both lights above it? or to one side or the other?

Do RES need hiding spots?

17. schlegelbagel

My friends who have the stock tank, sunk a few cinder blocks for the basking platform. They keep the water level near the top of the cinders, so the turtles can get out. You could use bricks.

I'm going to disagree with the multiple lights. A MVB bulb will give you the full spectrum of light they need. Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide Powersun makes a MVB bulb too. Put it over the bricks/blocks.

I'm also going to disagree on the corn. Corn provides little to no nutritional value. I know this because on every make it yourself babyfood site they all tell you to not bother with corn. Dark leafy greens are great. Mustard and collard greens. Strawberries and melon are good, carrots are indeed great, they actually need them to promote good eye health. They love crickets and earthworms too. Pretty much any bug.

18. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

I'm worried about using bricks or cinder blocks because it is a glass tank so worried about to much weight on the glass. Kind of why i was thinking wood and plexi glass.

I don't know if i can afford a mega-ray right now. I already have 2 dome set ups so i would just need to buy bulbs for original set up. But i would definitely get one when i have the money.

When using greens do you drop the whole leaf in there? or tear it up and use little pieces? Same with strawberries? I'm used to the geckos eating everything whole and only being as big as the space between their eyes. I have heard to use pinhead crickets rather than large but how big should the earthworms be?

When i set up the tank is it mainly just a water heater, platform, filter, water and the lights? or am i forgetting something very important??

19. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Set-up sounds go, you could add some type of structure they can climb on and hide behind, but its not a needed item. As to the greens, I just throw the whole leaf in, makes it easier to fish out with a net later

20. schlegelbagel

The only bulb that will work in a standard dome that is UVB is a coil. anything above 5.0 gives problems with animals eyes. Your only other choice is a tube hung over the basking area, along with a heat lamp.