This Disappears When Logged In

Care Sheet Needed

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by missabrat, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi everyone,
    We are making a run to NYC Saturday to pick up a bunch of rescues, 6 of which happen to be tarantulas.
    We have some basic knowledge of these, but would like good care sheets for each of them.
    All help greatly appreciated!!
    1)Honduran Black
    2)Giant White Knee Tarantula
    3)American Blonde Tarantula
    4)Juvenile Mexican Red-Knee Tarantula
    5)Greenbottle-Blue Tarantula (might need to keep this one myself!!)
    6)Chinese Earth Tiger

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That's quite an assortment- I would love to see pics of them when you get them. Also, Wildheart would probably be your best bet for care sheets on tarantulas as she has so many. If she doesn't come on to answer soon, you may want to PM her.

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It's night time for her right now. She usually isn't on til around 11pm pst (at least that's when I usually see her on)

4. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

*this is a bit i got off the internet on the beatiful green bottle*

The Greenbottle Blue Tarantula is one of the most beautiful tarantula species in the world. With metallic blue legs, a blue-green carapace, and a vibrantly orange abdomen, few other species can compete in the category of coloration. The genus name Chromatopelma actually derives from the Greek word "chroma", meaning "color". It is still a mystery why this species possesses such remarkable coloration, although bright markings do act as a warning for would-be predators in other venues of the animal kingdom. The Greenbottle Blue Tarantula is a resilient and easy-to-keep species in captivity. They can tolerate a wider temperature range and lower humidity levels than most South American species. There is still some confusion amongst tarantula keepers though as to whether this species should be kept in an arboreal or terrestrial set-up; with some hobbyists even calling them "semi-arboreal" due to the extensive webbing that they apply both vertically and horizontally. The range of the Greenbottle Blue Tarantula is believed to be limited to dry areas in northern Venezuela. In the spring of 2002, arachnologist Rick C. West traveled to Venezuela's Paraguaná Peninsula in search of these puzzling creatures. He found large webs of this species constructed near vegetation on sandy soil. Therefore, the reason Greenbottle Blue Tarantulas create such broad webs may be to secure a grip on their unstable and open habitat of shrubs and sand dunes. Needless to say; they are not arboreal. The Greenbottle Blue Tarantula is an intriguing, stunning, and wonderful species for any invertebrate enthusiast!
    Range Desert and scrubland habitat of northern Venezuela.
    Type Terrestrial.
    Diet Spiderlings eat pinhead crickets, and other small insects. Adults eat crickets, and other large insects.
    Full Grown Size 4 to 4.5 inches.
    Growth Medium speed.
    Temperature 70 to 85° F.
    Humidity 65 to 75%. All tarantulas that have at least a 3" legspan may drink from a shallow, wide water dish.
    Temperament Semi-docile and nervous.
    Housing Spiderlings can live in a clear plastic deli-container with air holes. Adults can live in a 5 to 10-gallon tank. Floor space is more important than height.
    Substrate 2 to 3 inches of peat moss, or potting soil. Sand may be mixed into the substrate.
    Decor Logs, driftwood, cork bark, etc. make good hiding places and provide a base for the web.
    Other Names Venezuelan Greenbottle Blue Tarantula, and Orange Bottlebrush Tarantula.

*Please note that ALL tarantulas have a certain amount of venom. Although most people are not affected by this species, some people may be allergic to the venom, or just more sensitive, making it a dangerous situation. This is one of the reasons that people should not handle this tarantula. Also, New World species of tarantulas like this one can flick urticating hairs off of their abdomens, which can also cause a reaction, depending on the person. Affects of this tarantulas' natural defenses may vary between people. All tarantulas should be considered dangerous, so be careful, because you don't want to find out if you are allergic or more sensitive the HARD WAY!

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

*bump*
    (since linky's on and hasn't replied yet ;))

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You will have to give me the scientific names for some of them, people tend to name them wrong and it can have disastrous effects.:(
    Honduran Black?
    American Blonde Tarantula? This can be one of many species?

The Chinese Earth Tiger is not in my book, maybe the name isnt correct, try and get the scientific name.

Giant whiteknee (Acanthoscurria geniculata)

They are terrestrial but will also burrow. Keep her on peat/vermiculite, I think you call it Bed-of-Beast make it about 4 inches deep. Put a shelter in for her, anything that is hollow inside.
    Temp/Humidity: 80-84°F, 60-75% humidity
    They are hair kickers, not very aggressive but make the mistake that everything is food.

Mexican Red Knee (Brachypelma smithi)

You must give her a retreat, something like a flower pot (when she is big) and make the B-of-B at least 3 inches deep. You need to keep her humidity above 65%. Temps: 75-84°F. She is docile with a skittish temperament.
    Because she is juvenile you must make sure that her humidity does not drop below 55%. Use a bottle cap for water and put pieces of bark in, she will use it to build a retreat, unless if you can find something else small enough that is hollow.

Greenbottle blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) Yes, keep her!

Give her floor space and she will web beautiful things for you. I love mine too pieces.
    4-6" of B-of-B. I have a plant, skull and a hollow war ship in her enclosure. She made web tunnels from the skull to under the plant, the skull really looks cool with all her webbing around it.
    Humidity 40-60% keep the substrate mostly dry, but it must not be so dry that when you blow on it that the stuff goes up in the air. 80% Humidity or higher will kill her.
    Temps 80-90F.

Keep them away from windows, sunlight, heater's and air conditioning.

I feed mine crickets, roaches (can be a problem because they disappear into the substrate), super worms (first crush the head otherwise they also disappear). Most people just throw the food in and leave it there.

My way of feeding: After 21:00 every evening I check who is outside and I only feed those once. I would suggest because you dont know them that you get up around 04:00 and check who is outside. The once that are not outside are most probable molting and then you know for the next night. I slowly open the cage (you dont want them to run away) and then I drop the food right in front of her. It is fun watching how they strike! If she did run away I still put the food inside but first thing the next morning I check and make sure the food is gone otherwise I take it out. Most of them go in hiding when they are going to start to molt but some of them dont and the food can harm them. Therefore only leave the food overnight not longer.

Cleaning: Get in the routine of feeding them one day, and then coming behind the next day and taking long tweezers and picking out any left-over prey remains. Keep the water dish (it must be shallow and wide) clean at all times. If you follow this advice, you will need to only change out your substrate once every six months or so. The problem is that they always take their food inside the burrow so the chances of seeing left-overs are slim.

How big is the juvenile? Only give food that are smaller - shorter than the length of her body and really take care when you feed her. If she does not eat rather take the food out the same night.

Anything I left out just shoot, I'll answer while you are sleeping.:p The bump worked.;)

PS: Please, agama, the internet are filled with rubbish care sheets, do NOT follow it. The humidity on the web page you found will make a Greenbottle blue very sick and can even kill her.

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If you feed them "turkish" roaches (Blatta lateralis) they don't burrow.

And I just found this today. It might help you. It's a spider forum.

Arachnoboards - Powered by vBulletin

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I wish it was so easy Steve, roaches are not popular here in SA and really hard to find.:(

Are you sending me away to another forum?[​IMG][​IMG]

(I am part of the above and another T forum.;) )

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LMAO, Sorry Linky, that post was meant for Missbrat :)

I would NEVER try to send you away :)

And I would imagine it would be tuff to get roaches shipped to you since ANY roach could become invasive if it escaped :eek::(

10. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Ooooooooh! A 'spider' forum. I was gonna say, sider's good and all but what does that have to do with the topic! :p;)

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL ya, I had to edit since I missed that last night

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Justin, what on earth are you actually saying?:D

13. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Before Steve edited, his post said sider forum not spider forum! ;)

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

[​IMG]

I did read your post as spider and not sider, therefore it did not make sense at all! sider forum!:D

15. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

May I ask where you get your emoticons, Wildheart?

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

[​IMG] That is like telling you what is in my bank![​IMG]

17. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Haha! I guess so! :)

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think I know where she got them :eek::cool:

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Lets see if I figured it out......[​IMG]