This Disappears When Logged In

Care Sheet Needed (Chilean Rose Hair Tarantulas)

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by vega74, Apr 21, 2011.

1. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

So I have read so much conflicting information mainly on humidity for the Chilean rose hair tarantulas. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reliable caresheet. Or maybe give me some personal insight On the situation.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They are a terrestrial tarantula and don't require as much humidity as the arboreal types!
    I use Coconut husks that come in the block and hydrate it, let it dry out a bit and place in enclosure about 4" deep, I have a extra small UTH in one corner of a 12x12x12 enclosure. I have a cave in that corner and this is where she will burrow into. I spray down her substrate each evening and I provide her with a water dish with a sponge inside, so she can just sit on the sponge and drink trough the sponge I change her water ever day. I provide some coverage, fake vine plant around her entrance to her burrow. They eat a lot more when they are young and they also go off of food for weeks to months at a time, this is their famine time. If the food was plenty she would put some away for this time.
    During a molt they tend to go off of food and will make a web on the substrate and turn themselves up side down and molt. During a molt I do make her home a little more humid to help with the process. Also during the molt, do not feed, they are very vulnerable during this time and also after the molt is finished they are still very fragile for a couple of weeks.
    When I open up her enclosure at night when I feed her she will come out and greet me. Be careful they will try to climb the sides of the tank and can easily fall and injure themselves.

I will try to find a good caresheet for you, your right that there is a lot of conflicting information out there!
    Here are some pictures of my gal;
    http://www.herpcenter.com/members/mld/albums/ophelia/

Found this care sheet, it looks really good.
    http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

3. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Thanks for the information Michele. Cute little girl. Lol. Right mines in critter keeper I set up a 10g for her but didn't wanna stress her out to much last night so I am letting her settle a abut before I move her.

4. mld

How old is she? You'll have to send me some pictures to put up for you, if you want.

5. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Not positive how old she is but not full grown yet. I will take a few pictures later today of her an her new 10g home.

6. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

An also another question.lol is there any plants you can recommend that would be safe? I have been told pothos but not sure if that would create to much humidity.

7. mld

I just use the artificial ones!

Also if you have the same type of tank as I do, it's better to take out the foam background, I found that the crickets would hide behind it and then she would climb on it trying to get to them and then discovered she could hang up side down on the mesh top and worried me to death that she might fall.

8. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

No it's a different type of tank. No foam back ground in it an it's got a metal lid no mesh. It's the tank our first ball python an our snow corn started in.

9. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

don't put sponges in water dishes it's a breeding ground for bacteria and unneeded also typically depending where you live room temperature is fine for them and hey don't need a heat source if they do use a UTH on the side of the tank instead of below because when tarantulas overheat they borrow which would only make the situation worse to begin with because you'd have a crispy spider heres a really good care sheet on rose hairs Rose Hair Owners Please Read! How to REALLY take care of your G. rosea - Arachnoboards