This Disappears When Logged In

Captured Texas Ratsnake

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by SilverPigeon, Mar 4, 2012.

1. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I don't think It would be unlikely if you re release it to the wild in a place out of your residential area. like country or wooded area.

2. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

Since the snake regurgitate yesterday, how long should I wait to offer food?

3. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Wait about a week at least to let it settle in. give a run down of the set up as well so we know what you are doing to care for this little one

4. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

I have him in a 30 gallon aquarium. A 100 watt IR heat lamp, combo water bowl hide, 2 thermometers, 1 hydrometer, substrate.

I had the aquarium already, went over to PetSmart and picked up the rest.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you thermometers and hygrometer digital with probes? or are they analog/dial or stripe that stick on the side.

6. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

Analog, stuck one on each side of tank about half inch off substrate. They came in a snake starter kit.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Those really aren't much good. For one, they only measure the air above their substrate - you need to know the temperature at the hot spot on the substrate. And they aren't very accurate.

Grab yourself a digital thermometer from Walmart and place the probe directly on the hot spot.

8. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

How about a remote IR thermometer? I have one of those :)

9. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Those are good

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Since he regurgitated he is very stressed right now. I personally would leave him alone for atleast a week then try a small pinky mouse, often if they regurge once they will do it again. Feeding a smaller then normal meal will help get his stomach going again. If he regurgitates that one then you will have to wait another week to 10 days before trying again. His first regurgitate was because he was caught, snakes can't get away with a full belly as fast as an empty one. This was his wild insticts kicking in, in his eyes you are a preditor.
    Since he is wild caught he most likey has parasites, worms, mites etc. So he will need to be seen by a Vet. I recomend finding out first if it is legal too keep wild caught snakes in your area. This could cause problems, a lot of vets will refuse to see wild animals.

In my opinon their are wild captives that I support being kept, new morphs, hurt, sick, improving blood likes etc. But heathy wild animals belong in the wild.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Let me preface this by saying that I have no issue with keeping a wild caught snake with the stipulations that they are not a species of concern or protection. And that you are able and willing to provide the necessary care to do it properly.

Silver pigeon, the advise you are being given has a lot of validity. Texas rats can be nippy and you really don't want your son developing the same phobia of snakes that leads to the "only good snake is a dead snake" attitude. And with a youngster a snake that bites can easily sway him in that direction. If you really want to foster a love of snakes in him, a captive bred cornsnake would be a better choice. They are easier to care for, docile, and come in a multitude of colors and patterns.
    And since they have been around humans since the day they came from the egg they do not see us as a threat the way a wild caught snake would.

Wild caught snakes, as noted, are loaded with internal parasites and possibly even be carrying external ones. If you do intend to keep it your first step is a trip to a good herp vet in order to deal with the parasites. What are causing no harm in a snake in the wild could very well blossom into a full out overdose under the stress of new captivity and kill the animal.
    The same issue is there with feeding wild caught lizards. They are going to be carrying the same parasites and will reinfest your snake.

The regurgitation is like the result of one of two causes. The stress of being captured or being kept in insufficient warmth to digest. Either way you want to wait a week or two before attempting to feed again.
    Check out our cornsnake care sheet Corn Snake Caresheet (Pantherophis guttatus). Your rat is related to them and the care is identical.

The prejudice against keeping wild caught snakes is valid but most of us oldtimers got our start long before the avialabilty of captive bred animals. It CAN be done but is usually more difficult than just starting of with a captive bred specimen.