This Disappears When Logged In

Captured Texas Ratsnake

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by SilverPigeon, Mar 4, 2012.

1. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

While cleaning my shop today this snake almost fell on my head. After the startle wore off I decided I would attempt to make a pet of him.

IMG-20120303-00016.jpg

First I must say I have never owned or cared for a snake before. So I pulled out an old 30 gallon aquarium that I have and put him in it. The he showed his climing skills.

IMG-20120303-00017.jpg

So, it was off to PetSmart to find out how little they actually know about snakes. After picking up a heat lamp and other basics I headed home to start setting it all up.

Upon my return I found that the snake had regurgitaed his previous meal. It was two green anoles and one gecko.

Which brings me to my questions. How bad is it that he regurgitated? Rather than feeding Pinkie Mice can I feed him his natural prey? They are easily captured around the house and free.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

2. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

I think if you haven't owned snakes before, a Rattle snake is not a good starter snake. Maybe you should get something a little more not so poisonous. He regurgitated because of the stress he is going through. He may not even eat while captive.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Stress of getting caught is what happened, natural responce, moves faster without the food slowing him/her down. Ratsnakes are a good starter to learn on and this looks like a yearling or under. So you have a good long time to learn with it.

Catching local foods can be cheap but problems will arise quickly. Wild foods have "cooties" so to say and in the wild thats natural as well, but once you enclose your habitat those cooties become monsters. Their natural regulatory process is disrupted and they tend to go into overdrive. Not good for the snake and on rare cases very bad for you... If it where my snake, and I have collected hondreds, I would stick to mice via the pet industry, or breed your own. Much safer and easier on your new environment. Ratsnakes are oportunistic feeders and will eat a wide veriety of food items.

4. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I thought I seen rattle snake too, and its venom not poison.... anyways this snake is a wild snake, I understand the fasination of wanting to keep it as a pet. Byt for the love of the animal... let it be wild. Captive bred rat snakes are not that much check out bhb reptiles google them

5. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Get a ball python! Rattle snakes are dangerous

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many snakes do not make the transition to captivity very well - especially in the hands of someone who freely admits they are new to this. I believe Texas Rat Snakes are abundantly available captive bred, where they are adapted to and used to life in a cage. These guys will have fewer health problems, will eat readily, and come in a few different color morphs I believe. You may want to look into them. If there are herp shows in your area, checking them out is a good way to see what is out there.

If you decide to keep it, your snake will need a vet soon, to help remove his wild parasites (which he almost certainly has) before they become an overwhelming problem. And you will need to settle him on a diet of captive bred prey items, preferably frozen/thawed, which carry a significantly reduced risk of reinfecting your snake, and a zero risk of injuring it.

Their care is very similar to corn snakes, as they are very closely related, and inhabit similar regions.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He doesn't have a rattlesnake. He has a RAT snake. Bit of a difference ;)

8. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Well now I'm an idiot! Haha I really have to learn more about snakes

9. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Venomous/poisonous the same thing it will hurt you. However my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Oh wow, at 2:30 am I guess your eyes play tricks on you, I still say I saw rattle. LOL

To the OP don't mind half of my post. ;)

10. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

You're not an idiot, you just followed my lead. hahaha

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not at all. They are only alike in that they can both be harmful.

Venom has to get into your bloodstream to be effective. If you spill a glass of snake venom on your hand, absolutely nothing will happen to you (unless you have an open, bleeding wound).

Poison has to be ingested or absorbed through any mucous membrane - and each poison is different. In general, your respiratory/digestive tract membranes are most receptive to poison absorption, though your skin can still absorb some (such as urushiol from poison ivy)

12. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Ok yeah, but I do not like either... In a sense they are the same neither is good for your body.

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I dispute this statement lol
    Venom/toxin research could lead to treatment for ailments like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Type II Diabetes, and Lung Cancer :)

14. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Ill shut up now..... :-"

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

ha ha :)

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

botox is derived from jellyfish venom, some snake venoms are showing promising research for melanoma. Even bee venom is starting to be known to have therapuetic effects on certain people. Draculin (derived from vampire bat saliva) is a pharmaceutical blood thinner and anticoagulant ;)

17. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

Thank You for all the replies. (Even the OMG its a Rattlesnake :"> posts)

I understand the reservations that many have to "Taming the wild animal" but he will be cared for.

I have spent some time googleing but if any of you have links to resources for beginner snake owners I would appreciate them.

18. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

He will be better caring for himself in the wild. If you want a snake there are plenty of captive bred snakes that need a caring owner.

19. SilverPigeon

SilverPigeon Member

No he wouldnt have, he wandered into a residential subdivision in Louisiana. A frequent saying around here is "The only good snake is a dead snake". He would have been dead shortly WHEN, not if someone else found him. He is just lucky I knew he wasnt dangerous.

I would have thought it was obvious the decision was made but I guess I wasnt clear. Also there is now an emotion attachement by a 7 year old boy. This in and off itself is enough to warrant any amount of learning and work on my part. Oh and he already has a name "Ratty the ratsnake". Yeah inventive huh...

I can appreciate and respect your feelings, now please do the same for me.

20. Knox

Knox Elite Member

There are 2 sides to this, both of which I understand and respect. Here is my opinion, if you care to read.

Any snake in a residential area has a great potential to be killed by people who simply hate them. They are also favorite "play things" for house cats. They could be run over by a car. Any number of things could lead to their demise. OR... They might make it to the back yard and live a long and healthy life.

Rat snakes are so numerous, I have no problem with someone collecting one that wandered into their garage, yard, back porch, whatever. They very well could be saving its life. So the OP will get no slap on the hand from me. Texas Rats aren't known to have the best disposition of the Rats - a Black Rat would generally be a better option as a pet. So for a first snake, it might get a little more feisty than the OP wants.

Me? I have only kept a few wild snakes in over 30 years. And those, in my early snake days in the late 70's. (I ended up releasing them.)

These days, I will only purchase from a breeder or a reputable shop. The last thing I want is to bring possible disease, parasites or mites into my house to infect my other snakes.

Soooo, after that long winded reply; if you want to keep it, I see no harm at all. However, I do think there are better options for not a lot of money in the Rat Snake family.