This Disappears When Logged In

Can't Decide What Snake To Get!!!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Komododragon12, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree, they are usually found in dryer areas!
    You can get some nice fake grasses, and rock hides! Remember you want the snake to be happy.

Here are some nice examples of enclosures;
    SandBoaMorphs.com: Latest Aquarium Setup

2. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I was just thinking an aloe or something small in the corner, but if they don't like them it's fine.

3. Komododragon12

Turns out that western hognoses are illegal to sell in CO! Who would have guessed after all this time of searching... but I'm going to get a leo instead! I think my step-mom would also appreciate a cute gecko instead of a "scary" snake (lol).

4. mld

Leo's are just adorable!:D

5. Komododragon12

Yeah, I agree. Of course my stepmom finds all reptiles to be "acceptable". She says as long as they don't smell and I pay for food. lol

6. mld

You can start your own mealworm colony and not have to worry about buying food! Just feeding the worms and beetles!

7. Komododragon12

Do they need crickets too?

8. mld

You can, I occasionally offer crickets, but mine is mostly feed on appropriately sized mealworms. As long as your basking temps inside the hot hide is perfect then they will have no problems digesting them.

9. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I live in Colorado and have a Western hognose. The law is as follows: Western hognoses are considered native wildlife in Colorado. You cannot buy, sell, or trade native reptiles in the state of Colorado. You are, however, allowed legally to keep up to six specimens from the native species list. There is an exception to this rule with species such as hognoses. For example, I have a "dusty" western hognose. These are a locale of western hognose that is not local to Colorado, and I have the paperwork to back it up. My snake comes from a breeder in Colorado Springs, and he is legal in this state. Eastern hognoses, and tri-color hognoses are also legal here.

10. mld

What about southern hognose, they are just so tiny!

11. Komododragon12

THanks for the info, but I don't want to get in trouble from possibly messing up with any of that stuff. Thanks for the info!

12. BarelyBreathing

No problem. As long as you buy a non native subspecies or locale, you won't get in trouble if your breeder gives you the paperwork to back it up.

13. Komododragon12

Ok. I didn't know you lived in CO. It's a beautiful state, but I used to live in Hawaii so it's hard getting used to the dryness and the lack of reptiles in my backyard. Do you know any good places for herping around Denver? I've seen maybe one snake and 2 toads out of the 4 years I've lived here!

14. BarelyBreathing

I go herping near Denver all the time!

Castlewood Canyon is a GREAT place in the summer. It's in Franktown, just south of Parker. Rocky Mountain Arsenal is great, too. It's in either Commerce City or Stapleton. Google it. If you travel east on 70 in the summer, after you get about twenty minutes outside of Aurora you can pull off and herp the creek beds. Just be sure you aren't on private property (don't squeeze through barbed wire fencing). Cherry Creek Resevoir is alright in Aurora. Chatfield State Park in Littleton is amazing for reptiles. There are lots of rattlesnakes in the Botanical Gardens in Denver, but you have to pay to get in and you can't really pick them up without getting yelled at.

15. Komododragon12

Thanks! I've always wanted to go herping in CO. It's illegal to obtain reptiles from the CO wild right? Just checking.

16. BarelyBreathing

Nope, you can have six. I don't really agree with taking in wild animals as pets, though.

17. Komododragon12

Me neither.