This Disappears When Logged In

Can't Decide What Snake To Get!!!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Komododragon12, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Hi! I'm looking at getting another snake (I own a corn snake), and I can't decide which one to get. I've heard these are some of the best for beginners:
    Baird’s Rat Snake
    California King Snake
    Garter Snake
    Honduran Milk Snake
    Rosy Boa
    Twin-spotted Rat Snake
    Western Hognose Snake
    Ball Python
    I think these are all beautiful animals and can't decide which one I should look into! Can anybody help me decide?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That's a hard decision to make, one of each! ;)
    What size enclosure do you have room for! Do you want the snake to be laid back or more like your corn snake?
    I wouldn't recommend a garter snake! They are gorgeous, but aren't the easiest to keep!

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

What size, temperament, and environment are you wanting?

4. Komododragon12

Thanks for the garter snake information! I have enough room for about a 30 or 40 gallon tank, and would prefer a species that is easy to handle. I don't know if you've heard, but my corn snake's a little nippy = )>. I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to twin-spotted rat snake, rosy boa, ball python, and baird's rat snake. Those too me are the most amazing out of the 7. Any thing else I should know?

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hognose snakes are rear-fanged and venomous, though not in the way that Vipers or Elapids are venomous. Evidence suggests that the venom possessed by hognoses (which for all rights and purposes is more of a toxic saliva) is toxic only to prey (toads, etc.) and is not considered dangerous to humans. Further, hognose snakes supposedly do not bite defensively (they are famous for melodramatic death throes). However, suffering a bite is always a possibility when you keep snakes (or any animals for that matter) and some people may be more sensitive to the components of hognose saliva than others, just like certain people are more sensitive to the venom of racers (Alsophis spp) and to venom possessed by Tarantulas. Something to consider if you are sensitive to forming allergies. :)

6. Komododragon12

Thanks aja

7. mld

A Ball Python could live in a 40 gallon breeder! They are more laid back then a colubrid would be and they have so many different types of morphs!

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I hear lots of good things about Ball pythons, when I was on the hunt for a snake I was deciding between a corn or ball. The corns won because I am worried that my small rabbits would be seen as food for a ball lol.

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

For sure!

And Ball pythons are awesome! One of my best friends has two that she uses as aids in a program where she teaches young kids about wild life! They're really laid back and easy, the kids can even hold them. The male she has is over 30 years old! He was wild caught and came in to the rehabilitation program as an owner surrender. He's such an old man but really great with the kids. Ball pythons are a good choice too because they stay a manageable size, are reputed to be very laid back, and as Michele mentioned, come in the most amazing array of colors!!! I haven't personally kept one, but they seem very low maintenance.

10. Komododragon12

I think a ball will be perfect, especially considering I am still a beginner. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

11. BarelyBreathing

Ball pythons are notorious for going off food for sometimes up to several months at a time. Keep this in mind if that's what you decide on.

12. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Also to best ensure that you get a healthy snake, no matter the species, you should find a reputable breeder that will sell you a cb animal that feeds f/t.

I'd go with a ball python or western hognose.

13. BarelyBreathing

I like my hognose a lot. I think ball pythons are boring. Now everybody will hate me because I said that, lol.

14. Komododragon12

Now that I think about it, a hognose snake sounds better... does anyone know any good caresheets? Also, do hognoses accept handling? Thanks for everything.

15. BarelyBreathing

Mine handles well. He's in a 10 gallon with aspen shavings and an under tank heater. He eats one prey item every week and is generally easy to care for.

16. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Is yours still a juvie or an adult?

17. BarelyBreathing

He is a sub adult.

18. Komododragon12

Can you keep them with live plants, or will they dig them up? If they do, is keeping them in pots optional? I really want to keep live plants in my enclosure. Also, do they climb at all? Just wondering...

19. mld

They like to burrow!

20. BarelyBreathing

They don't climb, they like to burrow. I have never seen anybody keep them with plants.