This Disappears When Logged In

Cane Toad Ate Pinkies :O

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by labelleninirose, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

lol So I just adopted a mouse with the cage and the mouse I got was pregs lol. So last night I saw she had 12 babies so I tried giving one to my big cane toad and he ate it!!! He ate five in a row then I thought it would be enough :p It sure made him happy. I feel sorry for the little baby mice though :( I tried giving one to my python but she wasn't interested. I thought I would share because it was actually impressive to see him just gobble them up!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, pinkies are a good treat. Actually, with the size of your toad, he could eat fuzzies or hoppers.

3. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

I got one given to me years ago ,it was huge it took small adult mice, giant land snails.They get a lot of bad press but they make exellent pets. Kept mine with my Iguanas for years. You can get them to eat cat biscuits; it does make them grow and it is cheap;) Have fun:D

4. schlegelbagel

Ugh, I would NEVER keep a cane toad with an iguana. The can toad could get attacked and the iguana could get sick from the toads toxins.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I think they were meaning the land snails? would a toad eat cat biscuits?

6. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

Yes ! the toad ate cat biscuits it is simple to do put giant meal worms in a dish with a few cat biscuits. Each week add more cat biscuits less mealworms and away you go . Kept it with four Iguanas ,for three or for years before I give it to friend, with a group 5 individuals. Igs NEVER bothered by it.:p

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You lucked out! My Zok would have made short work of the toads! Which probably would have killed her.
    Silly iguana will even bow up and challenge my big boa!
    Thru the glass of course!

8. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

We are talking about Green Iguanas right I've had lots over the years and never had A PROBLEM WITH THEM , biting bullying or any thing I even got them to breed but I lost the eggs. However my viv measured 6ft x 6ft x 6ft with a spot light for each Ig plus one spare so they didn't fall out.[ 6ft is equal to 200cms]:p

9. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Sorry for being a bit weird but do you guys know the damage these toads are doing in Australia?

10. schlegelbagel

That's our standard measurement for ONE iguana. Your area for 4 iguanas was very cramped and I can't believe you didn't have issues, unless you had one male and 3 females.

Yep, imported to kill off a pest, never ate the pest and now are destroying everything in their path. Sad really.

11. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

Sad but there are afew people in Oz keep them as pets not the toads fault It was watching an Aussie on telly with his pet cane toads feeding them on cat food, that I gave mine a try they are the only ones to eat inanimate objects:)

12. schlegelbagel

Just because some idiot on the TV fed their cane toad cat food, doesn't make it right. I have seen some horrible care on TV. And just because they'll eat it, doesn't mean its good for them.

13. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

I believe the way some people kill them is wrong (golf, deodorant-lighter things). But still they have wiped away hundreds of native aussie animals, especially the monitors and even the little fresh water crocs. This could be a lot worse when other animals that pray on frogs in WA start eating them, the whole food chain is going to be screwed!!!! Quoll's are an endangered species because of this foul pest. If that person in Australia actually keeps Cane Toad's he is a disgrace to the whole darn nation! and should be locked up IMO. Also if its not on a keepers list it can't be kept as a pet, they can still go to jail for this!

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I have seen on tv that someone's ig loves sausage pizza, still doesn't make it right.

15. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

Get a grip people yeh humans 75 billion killing everything every where. You forgot foxes , rabbits, and **** cats all introduced by man. The toads didn't ask to be taken there. funny when something survives really well it s regarded as a pest .Nothing to do with 75 billion humans messing everything up .Global warming is that just a myth? Latest idea in Oz is to introduce a fly that attacks Cane toads by laying eggs in the toads nasal area maggots crawl in and eat it alive. The problem is it's a big ugly poisonous toad. STILL MAKES A GOOD PET THOUGH :p

16. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

I agree with you vinny, I hate seeing on tv the people who enjoy killing them and saying they are destroying everything, it's not their fault they were put there...there are more humane ways of euthanizing them. anyways I think he is a great pet and I love him, only frog I have that enjoys to come out of him enclosure and walk around.

17. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

:D Right to go back to my original posting on cat biscuits look on the ingredients there is a lot of vitamins and minerals in them Commercially raised crickets are nutritionally bad and we have to gut load them or cover them in vitamin powder. I always try to feed mine lots of different stuff slugs worms etc,cat biscuits are just something else for a vareied diet. People gut load their crikets by feeding them on CAT BUISCUITS. Have fun;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.