This Disappears When Logged In

Cancer in Reptiles?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Ashuresque, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

This may seem like a stupid question, but I've never really seen or heard of cancer in reptiles. Today my mom found a lethargic green snake by the barn and took it to me just to give me a look. It had a strange looking tumor-like growth right by its head. We released it right after so I didn't get a picture, but I was wondering if that was what it could have been.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have no idea. It could have been an abscess though too...

3. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Reptiles can and do get cancer. In his book, Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual, James Hatfield tells how Za, his green iguana got cancer.

But Liz is right, it could also have been an abcess.

4. kritrdr

kritrdr Member

Cancer in reptiles does in fact happen. My own 14 year old iguana had a very malignant ovarian cancer (quite common in older green iguanas). I have seen fibroids, I have recently seen an unknown mass of tissue on ultrasound that was blocking a corn snakes ability to defecate. So cancer is very possible. As stated previously with a snakes tough skin, an abscess can look very much like a tumor.

5. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

Thanks for the replies. What are the survival rates like for animals like iguanas with cancer?

6. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Like in humans, it depends on the type of cancer, how soon it is caught, and the quality of care given.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.