This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Wrap a Plastic Enclosure with Heat Tape?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by bowrll, May 7, 2014.

1. bowrll

bowrll New Member

Basically, what I want to do is this:

tumblr_n57wbuyDGl1qdg223o1_500.png

With this enclosure:
    202020.jpg

And I don't know if you can do that? Can you? Would it work? Basically I want to create a hot, humid enclosure for my tokay gecko, without the use of heat lamps that dry out the enclosure. Since they need 80° ambient and 90° hot spot, I figured I can just make half the enclosure the hot spot and hope that in turn, it'll keep it ambiently warm. I'm just wondering if anyone's ever done this before.

2. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that would be such a good idea..If the cage is plastic then the heat tape can easily melt it and possibly start a fire you dont wanna take any chances. Maybe switch to a glass tank..I;m not sure, sorry:( But i dont think you should take the chance, so wait to get an opinion from Rich or Merlin..or someone who has lots of expirience with the tape.

3. bowrll

bowrll New Member

The heat tape would be on a thermostat...

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is that a commercially purchased enclosure? If it is, where was it purchased? Plastic can be heated with heat tape, but that is going to depend on the thickness and type of plastic.

5. bowrll

bowrll New Member

The enclosure is from PM Herps... I guess I just wanted to know if anyone else has done it.. but I think I'm reading that bending the heat tape can cause it to short. I guess I'm going to have to find another way to properly heat this darn enclosure, lol.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I tried it with mine (only using one side with the heat tape) mine was a commercially bought rubbermaid container and I found the heat tape doesn't heat up that much. What I did was mount a under tank heater on side instead and taped it with that electrical silver tape stuff (I'm horrible with names of things but it is the same stuff you use on the heat tape). Maybe try that? I mounted the probe to the inside of the enclosure too that way it didn't over heat the reptile.

Edit: with that I am able to keep the back half at the hot spot and the rest ambient temps at a good 82 to 84 degrees. It works well for my green tree python so far.