This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Tell Me What Species This Little Guy Is?

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by FrankyO, Mar 20, 2013.

1. FrankyO

FrankyO New Member

886667_10151421579399219_501404549_o.jpg IMAG0651.jpg

I got this little guy about three weeks ago. I didn't get much info from the previous owner. Just that the guy likes mice, pinkies, roaches, and crickets. I currently feed him pinkies roaches and I want to start him on Mazuri Crocodilian Diet but I'm currently having a hard time getting him to eat the food. Do you guys have any tips.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

See the wide short and rounded snout? Means he is an alligator. In specific the american alligator.
    A crocodile has a longer yet narrower snout.

More than likely he wont take to the Mazuri. How are you feeding it to him? best way would be either chuck it on the water so it moves or throw it in his mouth when it is open. Your going to have to trick him a bit. If you can find some appropriate fish to throw in his water he would enjoy chasing them down.

3. monkeyman2269

monkeyman2269 Well-Known Member

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Not at that small but when he is bigger yes. Baby chicks would work. And he could probably eat full grown mice. Pinkies are very small.

5. FrankyO

FrankyO New Member

Maybe I should try feeding him in the dark he is still afraid of me. I throw it in the water but he doesn't go for it.

6. FrankyO

FrankyO New Member

I well I did give him three pinkies and he loves roaches

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah dark would be good as they are semi nocturnal. I don't suppose you want to post a pic of his enclosure? just for my curiosity.

8. FrankyO

FrankyO New Member

sure

fwp1kz.jpg

The tank is 6ft long and 18 in wide. I know for now he should be fine till he starts getting bigger.

9. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Personally, I would add some stuff for him to hide among, in and out of the water. A filter to help clean and oxygenate the water and I can't tell if that's a slab or carpet for the flooring, but I'd add something a little more natural.

You may have upgraded the enclosure already, but just a few tips. Im actually kinda surprised he's eating at all. Also, if he's not eating the diet yet, try feeding it at the same time you offer live foods. The movement would trigger a feeding response and normally anything that touches his snout during that time will be tasted.