This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Tell Me About My Boa? First Pet.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dope666, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Dope666

Dope666 New Member

Honestly just wanna know what you think and how big it will get. I got it from a "breeder" who said it was male 66% poss het kahl albino x 50% het anery and he said it was a hypo...what does all this even mean? Could i keep it at the 4 1/2-5' range

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No, you can not keep it that small. The snake is a boa constrictor, not a ball python. You are looking at a snake that can reach around 12 feet but it will likey be between the 7-10 foot range. Read our care sheet. If that snake is going to be too big for you, buy a ball python and rehome the boa.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

and the rest of the stuff refers to the genetic color variations in its heritage

4. Dope666

Dope666 New Member

So even only feeds it once every two weeks its going to grow up to a big guy?

5. Merlin

It's a boa. It is genetically programmed to be a large animal. Underfeeding may stunt it little but will result in an unhealthy and constantly hungry snake.
    Translate that to aggressive and prone to bite

CamberMan likes this.
  6. Dope666

Dope666 New Member

Do you have a link to a care sheet...im really scared im not treating him right. He has a tank with aspen bedding and two hides when he hides he hides under the bedding never uses hides unless hes laying on top of them..im new to this and wanna know exactly how he should be treated to be my best friend until he passes. Also the few times i take him out he trys to reach for my face and mirrors my every move is that a bad sign? He also squeezes my hand and im not sure if thats just how it feels when he moves does he hate me already?

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

8. Merlin

The snake does not hate you
    They lack the brain capacity for human type emotions. That said it's good idea to keep it away from your face. The closeness of your eyes and the feel of your breath could trigger the boa to think you are about to eat it.........resulting in defensive reaction....a bite. You have to tot learn to try to think like the snake

Garters45 likes this.