This Disappears When Logged In

Can you identify this blue tongue?

Discussion in 'General' started by Marine, Sep 21, 2006.

?

Can you Identify the species of this blue tongue?

1. Northern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Western

14.3%
  3. Eastern

14.3%
  4. Merauke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tanimbar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Irian Jaya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Centralian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Indonesian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kei Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Blotched

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Pygmy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. or hybrid

71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marine

Marine Elite Member

I've had a few peope give some suggestions on what he/she might be, just wondering what everyone thought. Thanks, Marine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Every time I see pictures I change my mind!
    Todays vote is that it is a hybrid, but I kind of want to put my finger on what type before commiting to a vote. I'm thinking it looks IJxIndo. The head and big feet and long toes look indo but the tail and lighter stripes make me think IJ. I can't tell from the pics, are the stripes brown edged in black, or are they solid?

3. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

At first glance I thought it was an Indo, however, most I've seen usually had solid black limbs. I'm leaning towards Merauke, especially if the lines are brown with black (or darker) outlines.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I lean towards one of the Australian species which tend to have darker bands. The Indonesians tend to have more orange in the bands outlined in black and more copper coloured bodies. But I'm no BTS expert by any means.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Yeah..I shy away from Merauke because the tail is too short.

Psst...Mike...Indonesians usually have stong black bands on varying backgrounds (My indos are black/gold) but IJ's usually have a light colored stripe outlined ina dark shade over a lighter colored body.

My vote stands that it is not of aussie origin.

Maybe you should go to the breeder and take pics of the parents ;) It might help solve this mystery!

6. kriminaal

Are you talking all of the Indonesian species? I looked them up and many have more orange colored bands lined with black.
    Here's one pic

Attached Files:

7. kriminaal

I'd say from web surfing and looking at pics and info that it's not a Merauke
    Distinguishing marks:
    "The Merauke and the Indonesian can be very difficult to identify separately, so these lists are described in terms of telling the subspecies apart

• Massive tail length making it the longest of all BTS (often much longer than standard Indonesians)
    • Overall cleaner body than most Indonesians
    • Distinct striping and/or overall cleaner tail compared to most Indonesians — 1, 2
    • Minimal to no flecking on throat
    • Often displays faded gray coloration
    • Forelegs are typically NOT solid black compared to standard Indonesians — this is a good trait to help in identifying as the deeply and arbitrarily marked Indonesians have completely solid black forelegs and often deep dark outlining on the head scales. The lighter/checkered forelegs on the Merauke contribute to the fact that they are (typically) lighter in color, and not nearly as heavily marked)
    • This is speculation somewhat, but five temporal scales between upper lip and parietals (not all animals have 3, 4, or 5 temporals thusly the method is not a 100% determination in our opinion) — Indo is supposed to have 3-4 — Parietals are the two large scales in the center of the head — 1, 2
    • The Merauke typically has a much calmer disposition compared to standard Indonesians "

8. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Indo...that's the consensus but I'd say a hybrid of something. Subspecies suck.

9. Marine

Marine Elite Member

Well the tail is almost as long as his body, don't know if that helps. (He is 8 1/2 inches long and the tail is a little over 4 inches long-I measured him/her today & weighs 1.4 oz)
    But I can't get pics of the parents unfortunately because I bought him/her online(the guy I bought him from originally said it was a Indo Java-but found out later there is no so such species, I e-mailed him and asked again, he then said it's an Indonesian-but I don't know I'm new to the blue tongues.) Also, he's very hazy in color like he's getting ready to shed soon, but the bands on his back, legs, & tail are brown with darker brown lines. That's why I decided on the poll just curious what everyone thought. It doesn't matter to me, other than curiosity ;) LOL! thanks all , Marine

10. Moshpitrockchick

Maybe he meant "Indo-Jaya" That's my best guess.

11. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Didn't think about the tail, but asides, it looks identical to the others I've seen.

I guess I'll go back to guessing it being an Indo-somethingofanother.

12. Moshpitrockchick

I'm talking about the Indonesian Blue Tongue Skink, not all of the species of blue tongues in Indonesia. That skink looks a bit like an Irian Jaya. Indonesians usually have black banding. They can have a bit of color in the bands, but black seems to be the main color.

13. Marine

Marine Elite Member

he/she just shed last night, so I took some more pics...maybe this will help, his belly is lite pink, hard to see in pic tho
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Marine

Marine Elite Member

and more pics.... :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. kriminaal

Those are way better pics. I'd have to agree it's not an Australian species. Maybe it is a cross between Irian and Indo! The BTS I used to have, one was Irian Jaya and the other I forget what they told me. When I brought them in to trade he asked if it ever had tried to bite my face off. Apparently it was a species not imported any more because of it's bad disposition. I guess that's getting off topic -sorry.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The one I used to have was Irian Jaya and did not look like this skink. From what you were told I suspect that it is a hybrid. Indo Java is probably Indonesian x Irian Jaya.
    But who knows for sure. Thats the problem with hybrids.

17. Moshpitrockchick

Wow...those new pictures help ALOT! It looks alot like an indo...except for the coloring on the legs. Maybe they will fill in more black as he ages...

Mike- could you be talking about a Tanimbar BTS? They are rumored to have the worst dispositions of all the BTS.

18. kriminaal

I did a search for that species and that could be the one. It was a very dark body colour. Not at all friendly.

19. Marine

Marine Elite Member

Research on which species? So, far my baby is very calm and doesn't mind being handled, he gets a little squirmish after awhile tho, but he IS a baby, LOL! My baby beardeds are much more squirmy about being handled! Marine

20. kriminaal

That would be the Tanimbar. That's definitely not what you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.