This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Handle A...

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by agama3000, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I told her she said I could get one if I do my reaserch...she is having second thoughts though

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Sorry kendalle, I was being naughty with agama3000![​IMG] Wasnt thinking - had forest on my keyboard:eek:

3. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

she recommended a millipede ...because she knows about them...oh yeah and wildheart I want a centipede you are trying to get me to get a millipede :p

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What are you going to do with an animal you can't touch, and get to know at all, it will spend most of the time hiding away, so you won`t even see it most of the time! Why not get a pet you can interact with? :)
    P.S. And also an animal that won`t make you very sick if you happen to get bitten!!

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

Because they are cool. And you can take them out and yes precautions must be taken. I am hopping to get one regardless of what you can and cannot do. ;)
    P.S. then why do people get fish if you touch them or get them out they die

6. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I'm thinking of getting one myself. And I'll explain why.

I do love having my pets out and interacting with them, which is why before I get a centipede, I'm getting 2 yellow ackies to play with, along with Flint my BRB. They will keep me well occupied.

The centipede, will be strictly DISPLAY. And that's only at feeding time. Otherwise, it will be hidden away and the cage will be tucked in a drawer. The reason they fascinate me is their incredible predatory behavior. Anything that will take down anything it's size or smaller and devour on the spot is awesome in my book. But, since I can't possibly care for a tiger, pack of lions, wolves, badgers, sharks, an octopus (my favorite animal! sad they are so short lived...) ect ect.. I'll go with a low maintenance, cheap, yet totally bamf centipede.

7. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

yeah that is why...I already have a parrot and a cat which are a lot of fun already so there wouldn't be any problem with getting things you can't play with...so my favorite I can't play with let alone get ;)

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Well if that`s what you both want, then go for it! My own favourite animals are army ants, I`m hoping I can breed them, and then hopefully successfully release them into the wild...... ( What do you think?????) :D
    P.S. My second favourites are mosquitos, so I may try the same thing with them... :D:eek:

9. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

good idea if you breed army ants you can make your own stitches...I am hoping to breed scorpions it is unusual but it would be cool

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Maybe we should get together!! ( Start a club!!) :D

11. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

haha yeah:D...the closest you go to that is that we can go to the chat and make one...I made one already for jokes :p

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are any number of animals that are fine as a display animal and I see nothing wrong with that if they are properly cared for.

However!

No matter how secure you may THINK that your enclosure is, having a venomous animal in a house where other people live and not informing them of the potential danger is highly irresponsible and reckless.
    Just because you want something does not give you the right to thoughtlessly endanger the other people who live in the house.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Merlin--I am going to coast in on the heels of your post. I agree that if you want an animal and have the knowledge and experience and the means to care for it then you should get it.

However- if you get an animal just because of the COOL factor, then what are you going to do once you get tired of it or your mother decides that she does not want a venomous animal in the house? Every year hundreds if not thousands of animals not just reptiles are either released into the environment or euthanized unnecessarily because someone thought they were COOL and then decided to get rid of them. Look at the Burmese python population in Florida. This is the exact reason that "normal" people are so against reptile keepers in general. I know that centipedes are inverts but since this is a thread in this forum...

All I am saying is to please think long and hard before you buy a COOL animal. There is a reason parents say no to what kids beg for. Keeping a COOL animal doesn't make you cool. Keeping the animals you have healthy and happy makes you cool.

14. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

well yes I get that fact even though I told her I can have one...but later...she says she won't get me a poisonous animal but she will let me have a tarantula,but just the plain ones

15. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

dang, I am a bit too late here, but will answer anyways. yes, you can handle them, but it is highly unrecommended. I have a giant vietnamese centipede, handled it once and it was quite enough, as they are unpredictable and highly venomous. lucky me I did not get bitten, otherwise I would be in for some pain. whenever I have to get in his enclosure to clean it, I take him out with long tongs (15 inch ones, to be exact, just so there is no chance of a little bugger nailing me). well, not so little, he is over 8 inches.
    but just so you fully understand what you would be getting into - here is forum where people share their experience from the bites, not to scare you away from getting one, but just to make sure you know what you are dealing with.
    http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-254.html
    here is mine, Mister Crawley... lol

Attached Files:

16. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

It is my hope that you do NOT breed scorpions until you are mature and independent, that being said, it is not unusual. Many are addicted and committed to the hobby, just ask my 8 year-old who has done his "research" and I don't mean just with Google!

17. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

yes barru I wasn't going to breed them this year or the next...

Yes I have been a member for a month or two,do any of those bites get you to the hospital to treat it,or is it just the pain?

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As in most venomous insect stings, it will depend on your own body's reaction. What can be merely an annoying pain to one person will put another in the hospital.
    Unfortunately you have no idea how you will react untill it happens to you.

19. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

...and each sting or bite may produce a different reaction. You can experience discomfort with a bee sting the first time you are stung, then have a life-threatening allergic reaction the next time you get stung.

20. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

like my whole family can go with bee stings but my brother will have treatment to one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.