This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Handle A...

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by agama3000, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

Can you handle a regular average backyard centipede, like one you would have to buy? If so, can you help me and tell me how handleable they are and what they eat and other things. I would have to know to handle one. :)

2. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Are you asking about how to catch one in the wild and keep it as a pet? Or just how to pick it up and hold it?

3. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

both .

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

centipedes all have venom to some degree. Most will just give a painful bite. Centipedes are also carnivorous.

This may seem like a silly question, but you can tell a centipede from a millipede correct?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And a person never knows how they will react to the venom till they are bitten. It may be like with bee's. What is just a painful sting to some will put others in the hospital with a life threatening situation.

6. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

yes why do you ask

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I think because Millepedes are kept quite often as pets and are really fun to watch, and harmless. However centipedes are more rare, have a wicked poison, and not many ask about them. :)

I'm sure Dragoness was just making sure everything was clear to give you the best help.

8. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

[​IMG]
    this is one...that is what I am talking about

9. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

[​IMG]
    centipede not what I am talking about

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Your crazy :p:p;)

Millipede not centipede ;)

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Because some people can't, or some people use the terms interchangeably. Just keeping things clear.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Millipedes are a completely different animal, if you`re talking of scolopendra centipedes, they can give an extremely painful bite, but you obviously like living dangerously, so I hope you find what you`re looking for!! ( I won`t come and visit you any time soon, though!) :D

13. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

When my sister was in bed, and we are chatting, I'm in her chair, near the bed, I saw by myself a big (probably more than 10 cm long if stretched out) CENTIpede crawling nearly to her head. I can only stare as it goes and then I started shouting to her to get off the bed. But when the time she turn too see it it is back to it's hide under the wood furniture window. I know centipedes are sometimes poisonous and worse than the millies.. :(
    wew..

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Why not just type into your search engine: "Information on centipedes in the U.S.A". Then at least you will know which are safe and which are dangerous.....Are your other hobbies by any chance: Skydiving ( without a parachute,) Feeding Great White Sharks (by hand,) and Mountain Climbing (on roller blades)???? :D

15. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

my mom will let me have one:) but of course she knows nothing about there venom levels and how potent it is:D

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

That is not fair to her for you to not explain. She could get stung, you could get stung and have a wicked reaction and she would have no idea.

17. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I have it all planned out she won't touch it anyway and I know what precautions to take:) and if I had an reaction she would know...all though there can be a problem with my cat...she said she would prefer to get me a millipede(witch would be fine)but she is going to get me a centipede:)...so no prob...I will tell her when I get it:p...besides she knows they are venomous just not how much...she said to do my research:)

18. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I still don't think its fair...

What if it happens to get out, and your mom has no idea how much of a problem it would be for her or the cat..

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

agama, You are very naughty and I do agree with kendalle. I can understand that your mom might say no if she knows the whole truth, so to get past it, first get the centipede and then tell her everything that she needs to know.;)

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Honestly I think you should tell her before. You are living at her house, she has the right to know. Once you get out of the house you can buy what ever you want, however, you will also understand that under cutting your mom isn't good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.