This Disappears When Logged In

Can You Buy Baytril Without a Vet?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by themourningstar, Feb 16, 2013.

1. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

Wasn't sure where to ask this... I was looking online, and I found something called baytril otic that can be purchased without a scrip. I was thinking it would be nice to have around, and was wondering if that was safe for snakes? Thanks!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It's best not to dose medications yourself as you can't be sure what's wrong with the animal and you could end up giving the wrong medications or dosage. Both of which can be lethal.

But yes you can buy it online don't know if its safe for snakes

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I know you could buy it for birds online. The down side is trying to find out the proper dose, concetration etc. Which is where a Vet comes in handy, for proper dose and diagnoses. The risks of being your own Vet is not always worth it in the end.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I agree. They are available online, but dosing is very tricky. Get iodine, antibiotic oinment, regular dawn dishsoap, extra heat lamp and dome, origional listerine (origionally used for antiseptic and dilluted can get them to back off locking on your ARM if they're intent on killing you or diluted antiseptic). Above is what I use for emergency. Extra heat is to help them kick in immune system for like a RI, etc.

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Baytril otic is for ears. Fyi.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Good to know.

7. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I guess I should also mention, although Baytril is used commonly with reptiles. It does not mean it is a cure all for all reptile ailments. That's why its best to consult a professional. ;-)

8. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

Yeah, I read that otic was for ears- but the guy I buy my feeders from uses some kind of avian antibiotic on the ball pythons he breeds, soooo.. Thought Id ask. Went ahead and took Tiger to get his shots, he is doing WAY better, and it hasnt even been 24 hours! Thanks for the info guys.

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Uhm its not good to give it without seeing a vet and it being prescribed BUT you can buy it here: Store