This Disappears When Logged In

can u house milk in sand

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by ripraphle, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ripraphle

ripraphle Member

can u house a salona milk snake with a sand bedding if not whats a good bedding i kno they like to burrow

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I generally do not care for sand for any snake except maybe sand boas. I would suggest aspen it is very good for burrowing. Sand is heavy, dusty, and is drying to the snake. They can't burrow in dry sand without it collapsing and damp sand would cause skin and respiratory problems.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yeah I'm with Merlin here,. personally wouldn't use sand for the reasons he stated. Aspen bedding is a great substrate, we use it for our kings, corns and western hognoses, who love to burrow in it. You could also use wood chippings, but if using a particle substrate remember to feed in another container to avoid ingestion of the substrate. :)

4. ripraphle

ripraphle Member

?

will it affect sheding enway am useing it temperrelarly

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes it can cause bad sheds because it is too dry. You have to remember that even in desert areas there are sources of dampness, down in burrows under rocks etc. Normally the snake would seek out a place with high humidity prior to the shed. With the sand that doesn't exist unless you are providing a humidity hide. This is basically a covered plastic box half filled with damp sphagnum moss. Cut hole in the top big enough for the snake to get inside.
    I'd change the sand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.