This Disappears When Logged In

Can the Same Sex of Kenyan Sand Boa She Housed Together??

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Melissa747, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

I'm looking to add to my collection. My boyfriend is building me a mega snake rack. I was wondering if I could possibly house female with female and male with male?

The female I have now was housed with a baby and had no problems.

Male I'm not sure about but I will pbably test it out first.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Co-habiting snakes is really not recomended. If one gets sick, ie regurgitates you will not know which one it is. You would need a Viv 2x the recomended size for one and have several different hides, 2 warm sides is also recomended. Both must be removed fed sperate and given atleast an hour for the mouse smell to leave them. I am not sure if canablisim is common in sand boa's but it does seem to be an issue with other snakes. The stress cohabiting can cause is really not worth it in the end.
    Snakes are not social, they don't make friends like we do. They like to have their own personal space. Think about having to share your room with a bratty younger sibling.
    Plus it is very common for people to missex snakes. Popping snakes can only guarentee males, sometimes the hemipeins dont pop out.
    Two males is a definate no! Males will fight and could seroiusly harm each other. During the breeding seaons some males get very in the mood to mate and at times they will even pursuit and lock with other males, causing a hole bunch of stress.

If your boy friend is building a huge rack you'll defintly have room to keep each snake in it's own Viv.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I agree completely with above reply.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I also agree with the above. In addition to regurgitation and you not knowing who did it, if one has a parasite or illness then more than likely the other will get it as well, resulting in double the vet bills.

Care is so much easier with each having their own space.

5. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Ah, gotcha.

Sexing Sand boas is relatively easy. There's quite a difference between male and female.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

X whatever on the first reply, it really is safest to keep Herps solo.

Kenyans are not "snake" eaters but the rules of eating "if it fits in my mouth, it's food" applies. I've seen two snakes try to eat the same moust and one get swallowed right along with the mouse, by a non snake eating snake.
    So never feed together and best if housed solo.