This Disappears When Logged In

Can Someone Help Me Identify This Possible Twig Snake from Sudan?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by tomjenner, Sep 1, 2011.

1. tomjenner

tomjenner New Member

Hi. I am new to this forum and hope you might be able to help me with an identification. I photographed this snake in the Red Sea Hills of Sudan in May. It was in a low tree in a dry wadi in a very dry environment. It was about 30 to 40 cm in length and thinner than a pencil. From the general structure it looks like it might be a twig snake (Thelotornis), but a search of the internet doesn't show any species with this colouration. I have looked through the 1935 book "Notes on Sudan Snakes" by Corkill that I found online, but there is no mention of this group. From a quick search of the internet I can't find any twig snakes from this part of the world, though the African Twig Snake is found further south in other parts of east Africa. I am not a snake expert (ornithology is my main interest), but I like to keep an eye out for herps where I can. Any help on the identification would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Tom

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Beautiful looking snake!
    I was thinking it looked like this one but the coloring are different!

Jon Loman - herp photos

3. tomjenner

tomjenner New Member

Thanks Jon. It seems that you are correct that it is Psammophis punctulatus. This website ethiopia-herpetology.com shows an individual from Awash in Ethiopia that is almost identical in patterning and colour.

Tom