This Disappears When Logged In

Can Snakes Become Impacted?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I had A blood python that died to complications of impaction. Here's a pic of how she looked just before.

[​IMG]

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Kind of looks the same Katt. Maybe you should go to the vet?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

try a warm bath. I swear by those for many ailments.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks Og. That is the confirmation I was looking for: either that or someone telling me that I am imagining things. Time to call the vet. They are closed until Monday though. :( Maybe I will take her to the Emergency Vet tomorrow.
    And to Dragoness: I have given her a few warm baths... :(

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Can I add multiple Thread Thanks to Og? Thank you thank you thank you! Now I am sure she is impacted. I wish I had thought to post pics a few days ago! :(

6. bdoink

bdoink Elite Member

Snakes really don't go much. If you feed her in a separate container, that really should rule out impaction. Still, a vet visit could find something... or at least give a good piece of mind.

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Katt I wish you all of the luck I can! I know that you are trying so very hard I hope that the vet gives you good news! <hug>

8. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Good News!!!! :D I just woke up this morning and found a BIIIG poop and a Perfect shed! :D Woo! No vet trip for Shiiva after all! was just being a worry-wort. *phew*
    :D:D:D:D

Thanks a billion guys! I am going to go make some celebratory waffles! ;)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I'm glad everything came out....ok ;):p

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I didn't think your snake looked as bad as mine did. I'm glad she pooped, but it was probably a little rough on her. I would continue giving her warm baths and fresh water regularly. I believe taking them out of their tanks and letting them move around helps in the digestive process just like exercise helps us to be "regular".
    Also make sure the cool end of the tank is not to cool.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

The sudden narrowing is where the digestive system ends(The anus) and the tail begins.
    You can get impaction even if there is no substrate or other foreign objects injested with the meal.
    In the poop, you will have seen those little "stones" of calcium left over from the bones of the feeders. Sometimes they are big enough or mis shapen to where they are hard to pass and the fecal materials it will build up behind it.
    My blood python kept eating although I could feel lumps in her body in the swollen part in the picture. I later learned those lumps were those calcium stones.
    I was advised by someone to fill a tub about a foot deep of really warm water and let her swim it out. I did that, but I left her alone for about five minutes. When I came back, she was lying at the bottom of the tub drowned. I was told by people on this site that impaction causes toxins to build up in the body and that she was too weak to swim. The thing that gets me is that the bottom of the tub had poop all over it. I will never leave an animal unsupervised ever again!

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Yeah! did you scold her and tell her she had a lot of people worried? lol

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s great news Kitty! I`m really pleased about that! It can take longer (obviously!) when they`ve had a "big" meal, but at least you were keeping a close watch on her, and were ready to take action!! By the way, I`m not sure if it`s significant, but Steven`s asked me to mention he`s a "Blonde" just like you???? ( What does`s he mean Kitt-Katt???) I think he rambles on a bit sometimes,( A little bit like YOU !!!)
    Stefan :p:p

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am really happy things worked themselves out...literally! I am also glad you didn't have to go to the vet.

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

From what I know, A blonde is like this:
    [​IMG]

Blondes have a high yellow or gold on their backs. More common ball pythons have a browner look.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a very pale male (below) I think maybe he's blonde (or high gold?) We didn't pay anything extra for him.
    [​IMG]
    When I crossed him with my very much normal female, the baby was a beautiful caramel color.

17. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I would say that is definitely a blonde looking specifically at that pinstripe down the tail.
    Beautiful animal!
    I've seen a lot of balls that are more of a cocoa brown. They are dark but have some silvery highlights that I haven't seen in the more yellowish ones.

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL
    Greg, Stefan was talking about our hair color :p

19. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

:D hahahaha
    Funny thing is though, looking at that pics, I wonder if Shiiva is a blonde? ;)

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m not sure if Shiiva`s a blonde Katty-Kins, but there`s absolutely NO DOUBT that YOU, STEVEN,, GREG and DRAGONESS are!!!! :D:D:D By the way Steve did you say you`re a "Platinum Blonde"???? ( They`re the silliest of all, I`m told!! ( Not sure if it was Merlin who said that!!?? ) ( But you watch him try and deny it!!!) :D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.