This Disappears When Logged In

Can Rosys Thrive Without Rodents As Food?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by teach920, Jan 1, 2011.

1. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

While doing some research online I came across a website that had this written:

Because of their {Rosys} smaller size, they prefer to eat insects like crickets and mealworms instead of mice. This fact alone might make them more desirable to some reptile fans, who would prefer not to have to deal with dead mice. Rosy boas are known for their gentle, docile dispositions.

I was first introduced to the Rosy boas at a reptile expo last year, and I fell in love with the coloring of the one I saw, but didn't purchase it because I wasn't sure if i was ready for a snake or not. (One of the determining factors was that I did not want to have to deal with continually purchasing rodents to feed to a snake.) Is the statement I found online correct?? Can this species really be fed Mealworms and Dubia as opposed to pinkie mice??

2. peter84jenkins

peter84jenkins Well-Known Member

No, you must feed it rodents. As babies they may take certain insects as the opportunity is presented for survival, but they are not insectivorous as adults. They are voracious hunters and eaters of rodents.

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I've had my Rosy for 6+ years and have never fed him insects. They may be smaller in size than most boas but they are perfectly capable of taking adult mice when fully grown. I've never heard of feeding them insects. You can always buy in bulk if you don't want to keep running out to the pet store for mice.

They are great snakes though. Can be nippy as babies but most that I've encountered are very calm and docile. Mine is very mellow. :)

This may help you: http://www.herpcenter.com/rosy-boa-caresheet.html

4. teach920

Thank you for the replies.....I should have known it sounded too good to be true,....but I still had hope because the article seemed to be very well written and the rest of the information in the article seemed consistent with what I had read/researched earlier.
    Oh well, I still love the thought of getting one, and if they could have indeed been fed insects like the article stated I would have been cleaning out and setting up an enclosure for one right now....
    I've really fallen in love with the coloring on some of them, so I know I will continue to think about it..
    Again, Thank you for the replies.

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

There are some other snakes that do eat insects readily, have you considered any of them? And if you are able to have a snake already feeding on f/t... it's not very difficult to care for, especially since you only feed on a 7 day schedule! They are very pretty snakes, and snakes are a joy to handle and care for.. It's all about weighing the pros and cons I guess :)

6. teach920

I have done some research on insect eating snakes, (shovel-nose, hook-nose, and rough green snake are the most commonly mentioned snakes that supposedly can thrive on insects.)..However, from what I have researched, none of those are really as "handable" as the Rosy...and from what I have seen, I haven't seen any that are the coloring I really like....(an albino Whitewater rosy is what really caught my eye.)
    If anyone does know of a "handable" insectivore snake that can have a vibrant orange and white coloring, I would love to know about it...

There is no doubt I am considering the pros/cons for owning a snake.....unfortunately, if I decide to take the plunge and commit to rodents as feeders, then I know it will also open up a whole new world of possibilities, (There are so many absolutely beautiful snakes.)...and I REALLY don't want to have to be tempted with anymore possibilities.

7. purplemuffin

I really like snakes because they are just so easy to care for! I can see how some people have so many just fine! Haha, and that just makes it even more tempting, I know what you mean!! Honestly it seems most non-rodent eating snakes are the hardest to keep in captivity!

:) honestly if you were to commit to rodents as feeders I think you would just love a nice little cornsnake.. They have so many candy bright colors( Cornsnake Morphs - The Definitive Online Guide - Ians Vivarium Cornsnakes to show off a few), you don't have to search hard to find a captive bred one(as you would with an insectivore), they are almost always great feeders, they are almost always super handleable..they are considered one of the best starters for a reason I think! Plus they are diurnal.. You get to see them crawl around during the day! :)

But man rosy boas are cute too, I really prefer kenyan sand boas to them..I dunno, they are so..sausage-y! Hehehe!

But you know, sometimes an animal speaks to you, and if you think the rosy boa is the snake for you and you are willing to care for it and have the ability and experience to.. Go for it

8. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Garters don't eat bugs, but you can feed them fish and earthworms. We get them to mice and rats as soon as we can, but they will do fine on fish. We feed ours frozen tilapia and salmon. You can buy the fish at the store and just take out little pieces as you need it. Garters come in all morphs and are much more active than a rosy. Just a thought if you are really that against rodents.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suspect that this is a case of someone making assumptions that have no actual basis in fact!
    In other words he's blowing smoke out his,....:rolleyes:

I have never seen or heard of anyone claiming that Rosy boas eat insects.
    Small birds, and lizards as well as rodents but never insects.
    Unfortunately the snakes that are insect eaters are generally not fit for beginners keepers and they are secretive and not for handling.

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Connie - I went down this line of thinking myself! I so wanted a snake and the thought of feeding mice/rats didn't sit well with me. And the thought of frozen rodents in the freezer next to our dinner didn't exactly help endear them to my hubby.

I've got to tell you, by the time I got over it -- it was a breeze. It's no worse than taking a frozen chicken out of the freezer, thawing it and warming it up. They don't bother me at all.

And yes, the corn snake is amazing because she is out all the time. I love my BP, too, but I only see him when I go looking for him (or I can't sleep at 2am :rolleyes:)

But I'm with Purplemuffin -- if the Rosy Boa's are what you want - go for it.

Once you get one and realize it's not so bad -- how you deal with this new feeling of WOW, what other snakes can I get, is up to you.... Muhahahahahahahaha!! Just one more way we help the herp addiction around here :-" >:)

11. DarkMagician207

I used to be a little weird about keeping frozen feeders in the freezer as well but I got tired of going out to the pet store every week for food for my 3 snakes. My parents weren't exactly on board with it either but what I do when I get my shipment is separate them into individual baggies of 3 each (one mouse for each snake), then put all the baggies into a brown bag and then the brown bag goes into a plastic shopping bag. Keeps everyone who doesn't want to see them from seeing them and it just gets moved around like normal food. We just call it "my snake food". I find putting them into individual baggies also helps keep them stay "fresher" for longer instead of constantly opening and closing the original bag they come in and exposing ones you're not using to the air all the time. When it comes time to take feeders out of the freezer and I think other people may be around I just tell them "nobody come in for a minute" then I get what I need, take it away to thaw and that's that! :)

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've been holding on to 60 pinkies for a girl in my freezer for her snake. She is about 5 hrs drive aways so doesn't get to come by very often. Anyway I had to message her not to forget about the mice, since the Holidays were approaching I thought someone might take them out thinking that they were h'ordeuvres, you never know with hungry teenagers. Mealworms are right beside the eggs in the fridge. Too funny what we will do for our reptiles.

13. purplemuffin

Yeah in the future I definitely want to have a little mini freezer in the reptile room! Keep the rodents away from the food(and non reptile-loving family) and gives me easy quick access to it when it's feeding time!

14. Frognut

Hubby picked up a huge supply from the Herp Show for me, and I imagine it won't take too much longer for him to bring them upstairs (either in smaller groups or to vacuum seal portions), because he is getting tired of me telling him to go down and bring my up rats for my snakes dinner.

I kept the small orders upstairs, but the large package is too big for the upstairs freezer -- If I bug him enough, he'll stop being lazy and package smaller sizes and leave some upstairs for me.... :rolleyes:

(just FYI, I'm not allowed to touch the Vacuum Sealer - so he has to do it... :eek: :rolleyes:)

15. mld

Too funny, sounds like my husband and his workshop! Don't touch the tools. "I'll do it for you dear" usually a year later.

16. teach920

Ironically, it wasn't so much the thought of having rodents in my freezer,..... so much as the fact of "having to buy the rodents" to put in my freezer............ Luckily for me, it is my house, so I can bring in whatever I want, and I'm not that squeamish about too many things.......(unlike my family.....for example, over the christmas holidays one of my sisters came over and she opened my fridge and saw the container of worms I feed to my pacman frog.....She literally started shaking and having a fit about it...ranting and raving about how GROSS that was and everything......All I could do was laugh and say something to the effect of..."Hey, It's my house, my fridge,.....stay out of it if you don't want to see that.......and then I proceeded to tell her that all those shoeboxes in the foyer weren't filled with shoes, they were my mealworms and beetles,... and that giant tub you walked past in the garage is filled with Roaches, so you REALLY might want to avoid that area completely.......lol)

So...after doing some more consideration, it looks like I am going to bite the bullet and go ahead get the Rosy I was looking at......I've e-mailed the breeder and just heard back today that the one I liked is still available and is currently taking F/T pinkies and fuzzies...The way it is looking now I will have her by next week....(and of course I'll post some pictures as soon as I get her....I'm getting so excited:):):) )

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! And so the addiction continues!

18. DarkMagician207

That's great that it's already on f/t, that'll make it much easier once it moves on to larger mice.

Good luck! :)

19. mld

I'm so excited for you! Can't wait for the pictures:)

Love the story with your sister, my family does the same thing.

20. Frognut

Brushes off hands...

Our work here is done! LOL!!!

Congratulations - can't wait to see pics!