This Disappears When Logged In

Can My Wtf Live With A Few Fish?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Ahngulah406, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Ahngulah406

Ahngulah406 New Member

This might sound really silly. I have 2 WTFs that are almost one year old. They are in a modified tank. I started with a 20 gallon long and on top, added another tank that covers about half of the tank and adds about another 12 inches of height. What I would like to do is portion off about 1/3 of the bottom, add a filter/waterfall and throw a few tetras in the water. Has anyone done something like this? If so, what are some things you learned and would do differently? Any cautionary tales?

2. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Hi there,

Your white's are voracious predators and will definitely eye the fish and possibly lunge at them. The overwhelming majority of times they will be unsuccessful and will eventually give up. However this isn't a guarantee and your frogs may be persistent or even manage to snag a few fish. Know that the fish could be lunch; there's no telling what will happen. I would go ahead and give it a try though, it sounds like an interestig setup

3. Ahngulah406

Ahngulah406 New Member

I'm totally ok with it if they get a little extra snack once in a while. I was just worried about drowning. I know they can swim, and my guys aren't obese, but they don't seem like they would be happy after lunging into the water with open mouths and I want to make sure it won't harm them. I want to try to make part of the "pool" shallow enough for them to soak, as well. That brings up another concern. I only use distilled water for their bowl right now. I would fill the pool with distilled water too, and it will have a filter, (that's what will create the waterfall) but are they ok sharing water with fish? I know in the wild they don't get distilled water and they soak in fishy water, but these guys were bred in captivity. I wish there was a resource I could find with info about this type of setup....

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Don't use distilled water. It is devoid of minerals and when your frogs soak in it it saps minerals from their bodies.

5. Ahngulah406

Ahngulah406 New Member

Oh, jeez. I feel terrible now. I will change their water as soon as I get home. Thank you.