This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Use A Gravity Waterer With Water Gel?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CTU2fan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

"Back in the day" we used the small gravity waterers with paper towel or sponge in the basin to water our crickets. It worked ok, until a cricket would find its way through the hole and drown itself in the bottle (they're not the brightest bulbs in the box). Then they'd die, rot, and the water fouls. But I'm wondering if we could use those again with our roaches and fill the basin with water crystals instead. Has anyone tried this? Does it work, and do the crix/roaches stay out of the bottle?

2. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

I've wondered the same thing. I have a small one from the cat section of the pet store. I haven't experimented with it yet though.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, but you need to create the gels first, fill the waterer with them, allow them to start drying, and then re-add water a small amount at a time. An issue I had was that stray crickets would actually climb through the gel and into the waterer. It defeated the purpose because I would then have to empty the waterer because the cricket wouldn't get out and would die. (Bacteria issues if you leave them.) I stopped using it years ago. I actually make up a large container of the gel crystals and keep the lid on it. It takes me seconds to pour fresh crystals and I only make them 2 times a month. The tupperware container doesn't allow the crystals to dry out in the container. It works great for my dubias and our crickets.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I had thought about doing something like this for my dubia roaches, but never tried it. Sounds as if it would require the installation of some screen of some sort to keep the bugs from accessing the interior of the bottle. What I have done is to jist add water to my regular dishes of crystals, rather than adding more crystals. They will soak up the water andnbe good to go again, at least until they end up dissapearing from the dish altogether. Don't ask me how my bugs keep stealing the crystals, they just do, lol.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's exactly what I do with my water crystals, just add water when I see them getting a bit dry (always the corner closest to the heat of course).

Well if the bugs still find their way up into the bottle part then it does kind of defeat the purpose, as that sounds like a pain the same way the old sponge/paper towel and gravity waterer setup was.