This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Feed My Baby King Tree Frogs

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by JoeandNancy, Sep 13, 2013.

1. JoeandNancy

JoeandNancy Member

We found a baby king in our yard a few nights ago when my Bulldog almost peed on it, it came out on the driveway and reared up like a cobraor something we thought that was cute, the wife and I are really into animals. Any way , I brought it into the house we are keeping it in a 10 gal tank with non dyed cypress mulch, which in was living in out in the yard. We put in a water dish about twice the size of the snake, also a hollow piece of bamboo and 2 pieces of washed driftwood. As of now the tank is on the covered patio no direct sun hits it, I have a small weather station which gives me temp and humidity. We will be getting a clear shoebox for feeding, but right now I put in small crickets which seem to be disapearing, the tank is covered by a screen top. We also have on the same patio a 29 gal tank of treefrog tadpols I want to know if I can feed them to the baby as the frogs develop. We live in south Fla so there is no hurry to bring thae tank indoors, but I'd like to know what we are doing wrong and or right?

2. JoeandNancy

JoeandNancy Member

I forgot to say I pick "him" up a couple three times a day and he seems to be ok with that

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah you could feed him the frogs. But mice are easier.

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

If the crickets are disappearing, its likely because they are eating each other, rather than the kingsnake eating them. Im not wanting to be discouraging, but Id say let the little one go and find yourself a captive bred kingsnake. There are plenty for sale cheaply, especially in Florida. They will be much better acclimated to the enclosure and it will give you time to research about the needs of the snake a bit more.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Side effect of feeding fish and amphibians to your snake (and poultry) is the gawd awful smells that come out of the back end of your snake... Oh boy I mean awful...

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The downside to keeping wild-caught herps is that they usually come with a hefty parasite load, which can overwhelm them and cause problems while adjusting to captivity, and will require veterinary intervention. Snakes can carry parasites that are transmissible to people as well (pinworm is just one) so it isn't something you really want to ignore.

Mice are a better bet, and you can buy them frozen (usually lacking the parasites that live food is known for.) Mice are also much more available. When your tadpole supply runs out, and you have to hunt for or buy frogs, it will get costly or time consuming.

Having direct sunlight hit a tank is usually disastrous, as it can make temps very unstable, and result in a baked snake. You can't thermoregulate properly in a glass box if sun is hitting it.

7. JoeandNancy

JoeandNancy Member

Just cause it's Fla don't meen it's cheap we were in a pet store on Wednesday and saw my kings twin , same size, color, spoting and all . They wanted 80 bucks for it, I've picked up many Black Racers , Mud Snakes, and a real beatiful Corn Snake in our yard the past few years but this guy my wife feel in love with. Now if we can't get him to eat soon for his own well being I will let him go, we don't want to hurt any animal (except msybe the tree frogs if he eats them) By the way i'll be willing to bet you could buy leamons cheaper where ever you are than here yesterday they were a buck and a half each and they weren't very big, so just cause it's local don't mean nothing

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I lived in FL, and because of the climate there, reptile keeping is much more popular than it is here (Michigan) expos and shows are always cheaper than pet shops.

Where I lived (near Orlando) there were 5 expos a year within an hour of my apartment, where I could go and pick up almost anything I should want MUCH cheaper than a pet shop. I paid $45 each for my Jurassic milk snake and Central American Boa. $30 for my common boa, $15 for my mexican black milk. $90 for my brazilian Rainbow Boa

The one expo here (Michigan) I can make it to, has half the selection, and higher prices (last saw a Central American Boa there for $200) The local pet shops offer kingsnakes for $120+ for normals, more if they are special morphs, colors or patterns. a BRB here sells for $300. A ball python, $90 or so.

It may not seem cheap to you, but I assure you, it is compared to other places.

9. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Yep, a pet store is about the most expensive place to buy them. You should be able to pick up a kingsnake at an expo for about $20 or so. Or you could just go look at Craigslist and probably find one for free from someone who doesnt want theirs anymore.

Either way, as mentioned above, its best not to get them started on frogs as they are difficult sometimes to get them feeding on other things. Frogs also carry a good deal of parasites themselves, which can be passed on to the snake. Mice are a pretty easy to find food source, and convenient.

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Buying from a petshop costs more everywhere. Look for a local breeder. You will get a healthy well established snake for 1/3-1/4 what Petshops sell them for. I sold a couple cornsnake hatchlings to the petshop here, the paid me $40 each and they are listed at $160 each.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Repticon Home Page
    Repticon is several times a year, and they also run another show called F.I.R.E. (Fl international reptile expo)

index
    The Daytona is only once a year, and it is a huge event.

12. JoeandNancy

JoeandNancy Member

Never knew about Expos, we live on what they call the Treasure Coast. Haven't found any treasure yet, but we love it here (helps that I'm a Mets fan) the only expos we've head about are the monthly gun shows they have. We are trying pinkies today if he won't eat them, we'll say goodby and wish him the best. We would never hurt any animal

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One of the issues with wild caught snakes. The commercially available feeders are a bit different than what they are accustomed to, so often its difficult to get them to feed. Also you make no mention of having a heater in the tank. If the temperatures are not right they will not feed.