This Disappears When Logged In

Can Darkling Beetles Fly

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Rich, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have bred mealworms off and on for 8 years or so. During this time frame, I have yet to see a single darkling beetle take flight.

I was reading up on sugar gliders and came across a mealworm page that stated that darkling beetles could fly.

I went on a quest with google to find out this answer, but I haven't come across any other information beyond that page that states if the Darkling beetle can fly or not.

Has anyone read anywhere that does state they can fly, or have you personally experienced them taking flight? I am now curious if this was someone "guessing/making it up" or if these things can fly, just haven't had a reason to try and leave the colonies I have created.

All input is welcome.

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I am not sure if they can fly but I have witnessed them spreading out their wings to right themselves when over turned on a smooth surface.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I think they're making it up.
    I've bred both mealies and supers for years and have never seen one take flight.

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I've bred Mealies for years and have never seen a darkling fly.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I've never seen one fly. I know that i was reading in a beetle book awhile ago that the Morio Beetle. (Zophobas morio) has fused wing covers and can't fly. This may also be the case with darklings.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I remember reading back in the 70s that the adult beetles could fly but as everyone else has said I have never seen one do it.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It has been confirmed. The Darkling Beetle can fly.

In addition to creating this post, I also sent out an inquiry to Julio Ferrer. He is the senior curator for the Department of Entomology at the Swedish Museum of Natural History.

He stated that they can fly, but this is typically when they are in search of food. If they have ample food and water, they have little reason to leave and won't take flight as a result. (Which explains why many of us have never seen them take flight.)

Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.