This Disappears When Logged In

Can Anyone Tell Me What Kind of Frog This Is

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by LongSkateSage, Nov 5, 2009.

1. LongSkateSage

LongSkateSage Active Member

I've had this guy for six months and was told he was a dumpy tree frog from the guy that gave it to me, but after I did some more research into this I found out he is absolutely not a dumpy tree frog. He is very skittish, or was until recently when I put a fluorescent light above the cage. he is living with two fire bellied toad roommates. I would very much appreciate any help that you could offer!

Attached Files:

2. PrimalBeasts

PrimalBeasts Well-Known Member

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me What Kind of Frog This Is?

I wouldn't keep him with fire bellied toads. Fire bellied toads have toxins that they secrete from their skins and it goes into the water. It can potentially kill this guy.

3. LongSkateSage

that's what I thought once I found out the toads were toxic. They have been together since before I got them so I'm pretty sure they will be okay, but if I knew what kind of frog I could tell for sure. thnx prime

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Those are the famous last words. All it takes is for that frog to come into contact with the toxin and poof, done. While there are no guarantees that anything will happen, responsible ownership says you should prevent the chance that it will. You already know the Fire Bellies are toxic, and that the danger is present. Regardless of the species, they should be separated now until it is identified. Just because they were housed wrong before doesn't mean you should too. ;)

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I agree with Rich. Housing mixed species is just a bad idea. Sorry I have no idea what kind of frog that is.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That and the toxins will hit him slowly. Long slow death through poison. Not fun.

As for what type of frog that is, I haven't a clue. Can you tell us more about his habits? Mostly in the water or do we climb trees? What do the finger tips look like? Round? Pointy? Webbed?

7. LongSkateSage

I have a smaller cage that I can put him in until I find out what frog type he is at least. he mostly just sits right above he water in a rock or the log, basking in the light, and ever now and then he hangs out in the water too. his fingers are really long and skinny with little bulbs on the end, and his back feet are webbed for swimming. belly is white, and looks like he has a gold mustache that runs all the way down his side to his hind legs. hates being touched! he has gotten a lot better about me removing him to clean the cage and things, but he is still much harder to grab than my toads. Also he is a burrower when he gets scared. one of his favorite burrow spots is under the log in the water. thnx guys

8. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Just did a quick Google search under California frogs & toads and came up with these images: Any of them look familiar? Hope the pics help. I'll PM you the link where I found them so you can look for yourself

9. LongSkateSage

well I did some more research and I think I might have a female greenback frog, which is also toxic! man these poor froggies can't catch a break. I'm going to get a separate cage tomorrow for her. check this link and let me know if you think I'm right or have any other suggestions. thnx again everyone

Amphibians of Southeast Asia : Common Greenback - Hylarana erythraea

10. LongSkateSage

got the frog to a good home today. and picked up two new fire bellies. I will be posting pics in a few days. thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I will be glad to do my part as well and help the next newbie. ha ha

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Glad you found a new home for him!