This Disappears When Logged In

Can Anyone Identify This?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by safftaft, Feb 22, 2014.

1. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

Please identify what this is the adult form of. I've put a few different feeders in my cwd's tank and now I have a ton of these fly like things. They don't sting or bite but they are very good at escaping and making roommates very angry... image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Philly

Philly New Member

I'd say super worms, though I'm not %100, I don't have colonies of anything so I'd have no idea, and I feed anything that eats insects in a separate environment. Try using 'bing' to reverse image search.

3. safftaft

That's a good idea. I'll try that.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

What food items are you using? Some are fly larvae like phoenix worms, just wondering. Not sure what super worms are as adults... thought they where a beetle...

5. safftaft

I use mealworms, superworms, Phoenix/reptiworms and walmart earthworms. I bought a pack of waxworms but my water dragon doesn't touch them till they turn into moths. Mealworms and superworms are beetle larvae and I know what those look like. It's not the wax worms but I thought reptiworms stayed as a small fly? These are about as long as a quarter. If these are from walmart's earthworms then they are truly evil and figured out how to defy nature.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

From my reading I'd say Phoenix worm.

7. safftaft

I thought I looked that one up already but you sir win a cookie. You're correct. Now I know which one to not leave in a tank. Do your swifts eat the flys at all? I've seen my lizard go for them a couple times but I can't tell if he's eating them or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Rephrase that, the proper question should be do you think it's ok if my water dragon eats the flys?

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Mine have not arrived yet but my guys are a bit nuts with flyers.

Not sure if the flies are big enough to trigger the feed response in older water dragons but I could see the younger guys go for it.

9. safftaft

Ok. I agree after my observations last night. Mines younger, only about a foot long, and he just stared at them as they hung out around his uv light. I think he's going for them but his preference right now is wax moths.

10. Froglet

Froglet Active Member

11. Melb156

Melb156 Active Member

There from the Phoenix worms. There like called some soldier fly. I had it happen to me a few months ago.

12. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Superworms and mealworms turn into beetles as adults. This looks like a black soldier fly the adults of phoenix worms.

13. Froglet

Froglet Active Member

Is this them > images.jpeg beneficial-51D-GCMGA14283-black_soldier_fly.JPG Phoenix Solder flies.