This Disappears When Logged In

Can Anyone I.D. This Spider

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by mikeyp03, May 25, 2013.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A recluse bite may not put you IN the hospital, but they definitely require medical attention.
    Unless you want your flesh to rot.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Or you have an allergic reaction and go into shock...it's not fun.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Are you sure it wasn't an Arizona Brown Spider? I ask because Brown Recluses are not a native species in AZ. As far as bites go, individual reactions vary from slight itching to necrosis. If someone is sensitive to the cytotoxic venom and it bitten by a recluse they face serious consequences if left untreated. When my mother was bit a number of years ago while we were staying in a FL hotel (A state where no recluses are native) we traveled to a local hospital where doctors diagnosed the bite as shingles. While we were there I had mentioned that I killed a relatively large brown spider above her bed the night before but after a description of the spider itself envenomation was ruled out. It wasn't until we went to the second hospital, hours later, that the doctor there asked if we had seen any spiders in the room. Both my mother and I repeated the same story we told at the first hospital and the doctor's face lit up. Almost immediately he stated 'I believe you have a spider bite', or something to that effect. As it turns out the spider was a recluse that most likely ended up there in someones suitcase. Even after treatment my mother had a good deal of tissue damage, but fortunately for her the reaction was only moderate, at least compared to many photos out there.

As for lenses, I use both a Sigma 150mm and a Canon MP-E 65mm, the latter is capable of native 5x magnification. While the Sigma only provides 1x magnification I tend to use it in conjunction with both a 1.4x teleconverter and a combination of extension tubes, which increases magnification to around 2.3x life size. With that said, a Canon 100mm macro would be a good option for you, or, if you're not planning to do actual macro, perhaps a set of Kenko extension tubes would be more fitting. You can use these tubes with standard lenses to allow for greater magnification, although the results won't be quite as good as they would be compared to a true macro lens.

4. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

had a guy in basic training get by a black widow on the portajohn. he was medical dropped because he lost a baseball sized piece of flesh from his butt.

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

That's what I meant. I've only known one person who was bitten by a Brown Recluse and while I can't remember where they were bit I know that they did have to get a chunk around the bite cut out. I'm just glad that I've never been bitten by one. Knock on wood.

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Hey Matt, do you have any pictures of a Brown Recluse?

Brown Recluses aren't native where I live either, but it doesn't stop plenty of people misidentifying regular house spiders or brown spiders as them. It also doesn't help when actual Recluses randomly show up in grocery stores or warehouses as a result of them hitching a ride on a transport truck or a vacationer's vehicle from a State where they are native, and it causes the locals to cry "outbreak!" and it's all over the news. I think the only venomous spider we even have in Canada is one or two of the black widow species, and it only covers parts of the country to begin with. People are much more terrified of the "foreign" black widows that show up in our bananas and grapes at the grocery store. ;)

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I have only come in contact with the one, and that was long before I had a capable camera. But yes, it's easy for most people to misidentify them and nearly every other species out there, which leads to many meeting unfortunate ends.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It may have been...but there was some necrosis but it wasn't too bad so maybe it wasn't a recluse.

Thanks for the tips on the cameras.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

AZ Brown Spiders are in the same genus as Brown Recluses, Loxosceles. There are actually a few species within AZ, five recorded native species to be exact. Many of these are difficult to distinguish from Brown Recluses.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I just worried about one type of spiders and now your all "hey lets give you 5 spiders that you can't tell apart from a regular spider and that can keep you up at night!"...that's not very nice Vers!

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Well, although the violin pattern is common among many spiders ALL recluses in AZ have it. This is something to look out for. Just helps to be aware of your surroundings.

12. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

...And then spider aficionados wonder why people intentionally squish them when they see them. Better safe than sorry? ;)

13. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

they are beautiful! amazing pics

14. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

I use to own a beautiful red knee tarantula but she passed away :( I could never touch her or anything but she was fun to watch especially on very active days and when she would shed she would be so bright and beautiful! It was also lots of fun watching her eat. One day I hope to own another tarantula maybe one I could hold.

I never smash spiders unless they are poisonous or attacking me in my bed. My BF and I are firm believes of the scoop up and toss out method and even then it depends we might let em hang around a window or two.