This Disappears When Logged In

Can Anyone I.D. This Spider

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by mikeyp03, May 25, 2013.

1. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I refuse to stomp them for similar reasons. I'm afraid they will live and run right up my shoe.

After a quick search I learned that the Fishing Spider is just about the biggest spider in Canada. Then we look at Australia...

huntsman_spider_by_james_miller-d3dx24u.jpg
    Can you imagine the horror?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for the sinister warning. I'll never sleep again. ;)

It's true we do have wolf spiders, but they don't get near the size of the ones you have in the States (or elsewhere in the world). A friend of mine lives on an acreage and has a minor infestation of them in her porch. While they look like huge abominations to me, of course, they're relatively small, all things considered. I also don't believe they're the notorious "carrying babies on their backs" type. At least, I've never seen any like that, and haven't heard the screams of other locals in response to them, so I'm assuming. ;)

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Canada contains both large and small species of Lycosidae and Pisauridae, the latter is capable of ~3" (7.5cm). In addition most, if not all, species of Lycosidae will carry young on their abdomen.
    Another shot of a wolf carrying recently hatched young, in fact the egg sac is still attached.
    5962561829_8f8c08d47c_z.jpg
    5963120866_9ee7aa87f7_z.jpg
    Here is another species carrying an egg sac
    4671023832_513c8394d8_z.jpg
    And just for full effect, a portrait of a very, very large female
    7197590328_478c69f5de_b.jpg

As for the whole 'Stomp/Swat On Sight' mentality, as long as the animal is not a direct threat or an invasive species I try to remove it fully intact from my residence, tossing it out the door or window.

Attached Files:

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed! In fact in many cultures having a spider in the house is considered good luck.

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

We aren't one of them.

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

And it's unfortunate, IMO. Granted, most people don't want spiders in the house and that's totally understandable, but people just need to man up, stick em' in a glass/cup and toss them out the door. If they are 'highly' venomous (i.e. Widows, Recluses, Hobos), that's another story all together. I've seen first hand what a Brown Recluse can do to a person (my mother), and given their habits they can end up being a serious problem. But most other species are totally harmless, including jumping spiders, which are actually very cute...
    4628631230_085dc34eba_z.jpg
    4575443539_1b205c2785_z.jpg
    5815438675_622966d668_z.jpg
    7197540182_5f8aa8aff8_z.jpg
    7257326550_ed80a73d62_b.jpg

Attached Files:

7. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

nice pics!

i had a bright yellow jumping spider live in my barracks room for quite some time. i used to buy small crickets and drop them in his corner and watch him tackle them.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks! Next to dragonflies jumpers are among the most interesting insects out there, both in terms or variability/coloration and activity/interaction. They are so personable and curious that I often forget I'm photographing a spider. And just to provide an idea of scale, the first jumper was on my jeans and the second was on the back of my hand.

9. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Agreed

10. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I don't squash spiders like I used to when I was little but if I see one inside the house I don't toss it outside. I'd rather leave it alone altogether. I actually have what I believe to be a Brown Widow spider that lives in my monitors enclosure as well as several smaller ones that are likely the same species.

I'm not certain that it is in fact a Brown Widow even after looking at plenty of pictures for comparison because the coloration seems to be more bland than most. If you could identify it from this video I would appreciate it although it really isn't the most close up that it could be.
    [video=youtube;o4WimAvQ5yY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4WimAvQ5yY[/video]

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Based on the silhouette, specifically the size and shape of the abdomen, it could be a widow, but there is simply no way I can be sure based on the information I can discern from the video, which provides very little detail. There are just too many species that share similar physical characteristics, especially those within the Theridiidae family. While there is a chance it is a brown widow, there is an equal chance it's just a harmless common house spider. If you can get close enough try and get a good look at the underside of the abdomen...you'll know if it's a widow straight away if it has the token hourglass pattern.

EDIT: I just noticed you live in VA (thought you were in FL for some reason). To be honest I'm not sure Brown Widows are in your area yet. As far as I know the furthest north (east coast) they have been recorded has been SC.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  12. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

The internet says they are in VA. After looking at pictures of the Common House Spider I'm still clueless although now I know another option for what it might be although now that I think about it I don't think it has any bright hour glass. The body shape is just so similar to black widows that I immediately thought that was what a brown widow would look like.

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Haha I just think of that 'Where did you hear that...the internet' commercial when I read that. Anyway, I didn't know they were that far north. Interesting. In any case it still may be a common house spider, or perhaps another species of cobweb spider. You need to just get in there and inspect it.

14. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I had to take the top off of the enclosure today so I was able to get several really good pictures of her.

P6070118_zps5b8c172c.jpg

P6080124_zps5221a379.jpg

P6070115_zpse4648293.jpg

P6080119_zps3b138079.jpg

If those aren't good enough pictures to identify it then it will remain unidentified.

Attached Files:

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I don't see the typical widow hour glass on the underside of the abdomen, so I'd guess it's a common house spider and it's definitely a female within the Cobweb/Theridiidae family. If you want positive ID I would just submit these images to BugGuide.net where more experienced authorities can have a go at it.

16. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I'm not too worried regardless of which species it is since they aren't bothering me. There are two others about half her size in the same area. They are quite interesting to watch over time.

17. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Right, I was suggesting it just in case you were curious. It's just an option.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Wow...an entire thread dedicated to creeping people out...

I don't bother spiders at all unless they are poisonous in which case they get squished. I have been bitten several times by brown recluses and now any spider that looks like one gets squished. Their bite is too painful to be taking any chances with and they as abundant in my area as are black widows, daddy long legs, brown jumping spiders, and camel spiders/ creatures of the earth/ vinigaroons (now these are nightmare inducing)!
    Now that being said...Vers what kind of macro lens do you use? I need a good one for my canon eos-10D...

19. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Are you sure that you weren't bitten by Wolf Spiders? I am under the impression that Brown Recluse bites are very serious usually requiring a trip to the hospital and the similar looking Wolf Spider bites just hurt for a while. I haven't really researched it much at all so I may be completely off base.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Nope they were recluses. I spent a while in the hospital after each bite and the last time I was bite I took the squished spider in it was definitely a recluse.