This Disappears When Logged In

Can Anyone I.D. This Spider

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by mikeyp03, May 25, 2013.

1. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Just curious if anyone can I.D. this guy I found yesterday.

IMG_0463.jpg

I'm leaning towards a species of Wolf Spider but I'm not too sure.....the markings are pretty different.
    He's definitely the biggest spider I've ever seen in CT, so I'd like to know.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's creepy jones! He is wanted in over 3 states for installing nightmares and making women the world over shriek and jump on chairs. :-"

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

And some men too!

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Looks to be a Fishing Spider...D. tenenbrosus or D. scriptus. It's the only type of spider that actively pursued me while photographing it.

5. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

omg Vers you photograph spiders? You are a brave soul. I see a spider and I run for a reptile....

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Haha yes, I've been known to photograph some spiders ;) Here are a couple fishing spiders, the first may be the very same species as posted above (and the one that came after me).
    4810234699_5a09136543_b.jpg
    4784667568_e72e949630_b.jpg

Attached Files:

7. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Those are actually quite amazing photos. Great job.

8. cassicat4

Your macro shots are stunning, but you didn't do anything in terms of making it less creepy. ;)

9. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

heres a wolf spider(s).
    DSCF0600_zps01cbb9f8.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I am sorry I opened this. Nice photography.

11. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

That picture made me cringe. I liked the ones where they didn't remind me so much of spiders.

12. cassicat4

It doesn't even look real! And here I thought all those spider halloween decorations that look like this one were just gross exaggerations...

Thank you, Canada, for your unnecessarily long winters, too dry summers, and endless construction...you have made our climate uninhabitable by nasty creatures such as these and for that I'm grateful!!

Attached Files:

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I agree Cassi! Reason #459 to live in Canada :)

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Huh? Are you saying that they do not have spiders in Canada?

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

We have spiders but they are tiny!! The biggest one I have seen is dime sized ;)

16. cassicat4

Not huge, mutant, soul-stealing, nightmare-inducing monstrosities like these pics, no. ;) Nothing here (at least in Alberta) can live long enough to grow much bigger than a quarter or loonie. THANKFULLY!

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So would you like us to send you some?
    We have plenty to share down here!;|(|

18. cassicat4

Noooo that's probably why we have spiders in the first place! Some funny American said "hey, you know what those Canadians need more of? Creepy crawlies! We have plenty, let's share!" Thank you VERY much. We'll be sure to return the favor someday. ;)

there-was-a-spider-i-panicked.jpg

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Actually, both wolf spiders and fishing spiders inhabit much of Canada...just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't surrounding you.

20. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

the worst is all the babies on the abdomen, you stomp it and all the babies run up your foot. lol(ive seen it happen to a guy).