This Disappears When Logged In

Can Anybody Id This Egg Sack?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by zaroba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

was transplanting bamboo plants from somebody else's yard to my yard and found this egg sack on the branch of one of the stalks.
    i don't believe its from a spider. it feels a lot like insulating foam and measures about an inch in diameter

live in south east PA.

eggsack.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Sujiisan

Sujiisan Well-Known Member

Don't kill it! lol it's a praying mantis egg sac

3. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

thanks for replying. i was hoping it would be mantises.

lol, wasn't planning on killing it.
    it's most likely going to end up in the small patch of woods behind the house, which is where we planted the bamboo.
    well, once i get a glimpse of it hatching anyway, along with pictures if i'm there at the time :p

4. Sujiisan

Sujiisan Well-Known Member

Very nice, I'm glad there are more and more mantises in PA at least. I hope you get to see it hatch, the babies are adorable :x

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That is just so cool! are you going to keep an eye on it?

6. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

yea. its been sitting in a critter carrier since finding it. its on the front porch under a shelf so it wont get flooded with any rain and to help keep any sun from roasting it.

when they start hatching, most will probably go back into the woods. will probably put some elsewhere around the yard in bushes as well

7. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Make sure you check it regularly, they will start eating each other if left in that keeper for too long. Make sure when you release them, you give them plenty of cover, when they are that size, they are more prey than predator.

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

It's really cool to watch them! The babies are so tiny and cute. Hope you get to see them. It's a neat experience. :)

9. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

You are so lucky. They are a great addition around the house for they eat so many other bugs and are wonderful to look at. We have some that are at least 4 inches in length, but have never found an egg sack before. :)

10. mld

I wish we had them here! I would love to see pictures of them as babies!

11. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

yesterday they started hatching. was starting to think it was dead since there's been many stretches of 80+ temps since finding them.

came home from work to see a dozen 1/2" long baby mantids crawling around in the tank. didn't even bother trying to take a pic as they were like thick threads.

opened the container and put it by the garden so they can hatch and go about their merry way.

12. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Daniel's Mantid 3.jpg Daniel's Mantid.jpg

Sorry about the blur with the first, they are so tiny.

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

So cool! Brings back memories from when I was a kid. Used to find them every summer!

14. mld

I can't get over how tiny that they are! Are they good for pest control, like aphids?

15. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

How amazing! What a great experience :D you're so lucky lol I love praying mantises :)

16. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hijack your thread Zaroba! Daniel went for a walk with his kindergarten class and found an egg sack. His teacher did not know what it was (Daniel is 5) and she let him bring it home. Jonathan (10) told him what he had - it went into a bug keeper. Seems like it took a month to hatch and we let them into the garden immediately, They will eat each other! This was my first experience with hatching an egg sack- thank goodness my boys are here to educate me!

17. mld

Kids brains are like sponges, I am always amazed how much they remember!

18. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Adorable! Reminds me of when I found one and it hatched. It's amazing how tiny they are. :D

19. Lolita

Lolita Elite Member

I love finding the mantid ooths every year colorado has 6 species of mantids actually so i'm always raising different species my 2 favorites are the chinese mantids that get epically huge and at neon green to the dwarf mantids with are about an inch full grown and a autumn brown color they make good kids pets too cause they have super short life spans so by the time the kid gets bored the mantid dies i've done it several times with my niece and nephew before they moved out of state

20. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Baby mantids are really cute lol
    I once caught a female. I gave her a lot of males to mate with and eat:p
    She laid an ootheca on a stick and when they hatched i didnt have any food so they all ate each other. lol